On Campus: UND engineering college partners with Texas university
The UND College of Engineering and Mines and Schreiner University of Texas have partnered to offer an Engineering Distance Education Degree Program.
After about three years of negotiations, a memorandum of understanding was signed Dec. 16 allowing students at Schreiner earn an online engineering degree from UND alongside whatever degree they're pursuing in Texas.
"What it does is allow their students to be our students at the same time," the college's Interim Associate Dean Hossein Salehfar said.
Salehfar said UND has similar agreements with roughly six other universities across the country. It recently signed on with the University of Mary in Bismarck and is in talks with interested institutions in China and Valley City State University.
"Most of them approach us but sometimes we approach them," Salehfar said.
Salehfar said students have to spend time on UND's campus, usually during the summer, to complete the hands-on laboratory work that is required by the degree.
The College of Engineering and Mines has programs accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, a nonprofit organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
• K-12 students, their teachers and college students from across the state are invited to submit questions that will be sent to astronauts on the International Space Station. The long-distance "phone call" will be made the week of March 7. Contact Caitlin Nolby at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marissa Saad at email@example.com.
• The Mayville State Alumni Association and Foundation is sponsoring an MSU alumni and friends trip to Norway departing July 25, 2016, and returning Aug. 4. For more information, visit goo.gl/XRqtoV.
• UND mechanical engineering professors George Bibel and Matthew Cavalli were recently highlighted as a featured engineering professors at OnlineEngineeringPrograms.com. Bibel teaches courses on finite element analysis and engineering disasters for the UND Department of Mechanical Engineering. Cavalli, the department chair, teaches courses on the behavior of materials and solid mechanics.
• Gary Johnson, a former UND interim vice president for research, has established a $10,000 scholarship for the Department of Geography & Geographic Information Science. The scholarship was established in honor of Johnson's wife, Diana (Grandpre) Johnson, who died in 2013.
• A job description for the UND Dean of Graduate Studies has been finalized and a timeline is in place that aims to select someone for the job this spring. The full description is available online at bit.ly/1OHoynH.
• Wings Cafe in the UND Aerospace building at the airport will be closed Dec. 29 and 30 for maintenance.
More info: To see more regional higher education news, visit the websites of UND, University of Minnesota-Crookston, Northland Community and Technical College, Mayville State University and Lake Region State College.
Staff writer Katie Snell contributed to this article.