State Fair Art
- At. St. Paul: The Minnesota State Fair's 2009 Commemorative Art was unveiled Thursday by artist Leo Stans of Belle Plaine, Minn. Stans' interpretation of the Great Minnesota Get-Together is sixth in a series of annual art work created exclusively for the State Fair; the oil-on-canvas celebrates the 100th anniversary of the historic Grandstand while capturing the spirit and excitement of the fair, a news release said. Commemorative art posters and a limited number of signed prints are available for purchase at www.msf
foundation.org. The Minnesota State Fair runs Aug. 27 through Sept. 7. Info: www.mnstatefair.org.
- World's Smallest Gallery: The paintings of Kelly Thompson will be exhibited through July 10 at the World's Smallest Gallery, Urban Stampede, Grand Forks. Info: (701) 746-9531.
- New exhibit: "Norwegian Hand-Felted Purses: Summer Limited Editions," an exhibit and sale of small-scale and medium works of design by fiber artist Elsa Anderson, based in Oslo, Norway, will open June 20 and run through July 18 at Velkommen, downtown Grand Forks. About the artist: Anderson collaborates with Scandinavian pewtersmiths and stained glass artists that produce the accents to her designer purses. Info: (701) 775-8482.
Fathers & sons
- June 20 at Columbia Mall: Baggo, corn toss, bean bags or cornbag, call it what you will. The first-ever father-son Big Catch Cornbag Classic Tournament is coming to Columbia Mall at 10 a.m. June 20. Similar to horseshoes, the game is played by pitching a 1-pound bag filled with corn at a sloped box with a hole at one end until 21 points are scored. The contest will be in the mall's JC Penney corridor, sponsored by Columbia Mall and 94.7 FM Radio. Prizes: From Lake of the Wood's Ballards Resort, Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks, and Sports Zone. Pre-registration: Required by June 18. Two-person teams can consist of dads of all ages, and sons from 8 to 17. To enter: Go to www.shopcolumbiamall.com or call Columbia Mall customer service at (701) 746-7383.
- June 19-21 in Oklee, Minn.: The Oklee Community Children's Theater will present "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" at 7:30 p.m. Friday through June 21 at Oklee Community Children's Theater. The cast will include 21 young people, ages 5 to 19, playing 35 roles. Amy Paquin will play Dorothy with Jo Jo Parenteau as Toto, Miranda Magnell as Glinda, Amanda Paradis as Scarecrow, Anya Eyman as Tinman, Michelle Soto as Cowardly Lion, and Nathan Magnell, Sydney Melby, Spencer Pradis and Michelle Sundquist in other lead roles. Director: Mike Swenson. Assistant Director: Becky Cote. Admission: $5, pre-school, free. Relay for Life: During intermission, the Red Lake County Relay for Life team will serve refreshments for a freewill donation.
- Replacement show: The musical "The Wedding Singer" will replace "Cry-Baby" in the line-up of shows in the Broadway in Fargo's 2009-10 season. "Cry-Baby" has canceled its North American Tour, a news release said. Season at a glance: "Cirque Dreams Illumination," Nov. 24; "Camelot," Feb. 1; "The Wedding Singer," Feb. 22; "The Rat Pack is Back!," March 16. This is Broadway in Fargo's seventh season at the Gate City Bank Theatre in the Fargodome. Season subscriptions: Now on sale; (701) 241-9100.
Mrs. North Dakota
- Titleholder: Mrs. Bismarck Toni Massey-Wheeler won the title of Mrs. North Dakota America on June 7 in Fargo. She won the interview and evening gown competitions. The People's Choice Winner was Sarah Matejcek, Mrs. Michigan, N.D., who also took home the Music Education Ambassador Award. Mrs. North Dakota is eligible to compete for Mrs. America in September. Info: (701) 271-0402.