- June 6 in Grand Forks: Hairball, an '80s rock impersonation act, will perform at 8 p.m. June 6 at River Cities Speedway at the Grand Forks fairgrounds as a benefit for Arc Headwaters. Hairball's dual frontman assault features veteran vocalists Rockstar Bob and Kris Voxx, who will bring music from KISS, Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard and more. Tickets: $15, go on sale at the door at 6:30 p.m.
- More fundraising for Arc Headwaters: The Arc Headwaters 120 Motorcycle Run, part of the fundraiser that will culminate in the Hairball concert June 6 at River Cities Speedway, will take off at 10 a.m. June 6 in East Grand Forks. Registration for the run will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Blue Moose Bar & Grill. Tickets: One bike, one rider, $40; one bike, two riders, $50. About the run: From Grand Forks, the bikers will head east, stopping in Crookston and then at the Black Cat in Thief River Falls for lunch. They'll return to River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, where the price of their ticket will include a steak dinner and a ticket to the Hairball concert. All events are rain or shine, organizers said. Info: www.archeadwaters.org/
Art for children
- Workshops in Grand Forks: Jackie's Art Studio of Grand Forks, run by artist Jackie Uthus, will offer art workshops for children Mondays and Tuesdays in June and July. Classes will be offered for 5- to 7-year-olds; 7- to 8-year-olds; and children 8 and older. An event, Starry Night Art and Astronomy for Families, is planned for September. Preregister online at www.jackiesart.com/ and complete registration by signing a permission form and completing payment. Birthday parties are available. About Jackie Uthus: Uthus, whose studio is in her home, was coordinator/teacher for Grand Forks Public Schools Artist in Residence Program for 12 years and is a founder of ArtWise.
Kids Story Hour
- At UND Bookstore: A Kids Story Hour will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesdays in June at the UND Bookstore. Here's a schedule: June 3: "A Visitor for Bear" by Bonny Becker. Craft: Decorate picture frames. June 10: "Bats at the Beach" by Brian Lies. Craft: Make bats. June 17: "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!" by Karen Beaumont. Craft: Paint posters. June 24: "Pirates Don't Change Diapers," by Melinda Long. Craft: Decorate treasure boxes.
- Starting June 9: The originator of "Writing in Pubs" is at it again with "Journaling & Java." For the seventh year, Kathy Coudle-King, Grand Forks writer and university instructor, will run a community writing workshop. The eight-week journaling workshop will meet once a week from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays at Pourpora Coffee House Downtown, Grand Forks, beginning June 9. On journaling: Coudle-King believes it can clear away the cobwebs, help us determine where we've been and where we want to go, and warm up the muscles for creative writing. She will lead participants through different ways to journal, and each evening will conclude with the opportunity to share writing (or not). Admission: $85, payable at the first meeting; 10 percent of all proceeds will go to Filling the Gap, a local cancer support program. To reserve a seat: (701) 330-1627; e-mail email@example.com.
Kids Story Hour
- At UND Bookstore: A Kids Story Hour will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesdays in June at the UND Bookstore. Here's a schedule. June 3: "A Visitor for Bear" by Bonny Becker. Craft: Decorate picture frames. June 10: "Bats at the Beach" by Brian Lies. Craft: Make bats. June 17: "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!," by Karen Beaumont. Craft: Paint posters. June 24: "Pirates Don't Change Diapers," by Melinda Long. Craft: Decorate treasure boxes.
- Opening June 6 in Winnipeg: An exhibition of colorful Inuit dolls made of sealskin, caribou and sinew will open June 6 at The Winnipeg Art Gallery. "Inuit Dolls of the Kivalliq" will continue until Sept. 13. Inuit people have created dolls for centuries, an activity that allowed young girls to learn how to sew clothing for their families, a news release said. Info: wag.mb.ca/.
- WAG extends exhibit hours: Because of the popularity of the exhibition "Marilyn Monroe: Life as Legend," The Winnipeg Art Gallery will extend its hours for the final weekend of the show. The WAG will be open until 9 p.m. June 6-7. Info: wag.mb.ca/.