A natural gas leak at a construction site near the UND campus was contained and an "all clear" was issued Tuesday afternoon, allowing normal activities to resume in the area.

Construction workers doing work to University Avenue on the UND campus hit a 4-inch gas line around 9 a.m. Tuesday near the corner of Princeton Street and University Avenue, causing an evacuation of the area. Buildings evacuated included Wilkerson Commons Dining Complex, the American Indian Center, a nearby sorority house as well as Squires, Bek, Hancock, Walsh, Johnstone, Fulton and Smith Halls.

The repair work took more than four hours.

There were no injuries reported and damage was limited, UND Communications Director David Dodds said.

The UND Police Department, Grand Forks Fire Department, Excel Energy and Altru Hospital responded to the incident.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

Dodds praised the repair crews for their work.

"We have a lot of construction going on on campus right now and unfortunately these things can and do happen," he said. "We have a team in town with the (Grand Forks) fire department and state agencies working with our own campus crews to come to a successful resolution."