Need breastfeeding/chestfeeding or lactation support? We've got you covered
Here are some resources to help you on your journey
August marks Breastfeeding Awareness Month, which aims to encourage and empower those breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. With the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) extending its recommendation to continue breastfeeding for 2 years or beyond as well as the infant formula shortage, those who are currently breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed may need resources to help with their breastfeeding goals.
Fortunately, help is available through a variety of organizations in the area.
- Tender Transitions (Essentia) and Baby Cafe (Sanford) offer a safe, supportive environment for breastfeeding and to connect with others. Lactation consultants can answer questions or assess weight gain. Registration is not necessary. Tender Transitions is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays at 1702 South University Drive in Fargo on the 6th floor. Baby Cafe is offered three different times, so check out https://www.sanfordhealth.org/classes-and-events/baby-cafe-fargo to find the one that fits best in your schedule.
- La Leche League is not holding in-person meetings at this time, but the group offers monthly virtual support meetings as well as support through via phone, email or Facebook . The group invites anyone wanting to learn more about breastfeeding/chestfeeding to attend a Zoom meeting on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
- Back to Work Mom (#B2Wmom) is a program offered through Fargo Cass Public Health to support those who are breastfeeding and returning to work. Participants register for the program and receive timely tips, support, resources and more.
- Beyond Boundaries Lactation Support
- Embrace Therapy Services
- Heritage Birth
- Jackie Klefsaas: Postpartum Support Doula
- Northern Prairie Lactation Services
- Rachel Baumgart at Stellar Healthcare
For more information and resources on breastfeeding/chestfeeding support, visit https://fargond.gov/city-government/departments/fargo-cass-public-health/health-promotion/breastfeeding/resources .