TV Picks: 'Pan Am,' when air travel was glamorous
Wanna get away? This new globe-trotting drama "Pan Am" provides a welcome escape to exotic locales, along with a trip back in time. Set in the early 1960s, when commercial air travel actually held a glamorous allure, it follows the adventures of ...
Wanna get away? This new globe-trotting drama "Pan Am" provides a welcome escape to exotic locales, along with a trip back in time.
Set in the early 1960s, when commercial air travel actually held a glamorous allure, it follows the adventures of smart, attractive young stewardesses who endured stringent grooming requirements and, yes, girdle checks, for a chance to see the world.
The stylishly crafted and briskly paced pilot episode (Sunday, ABC) is a real flight of fancy. Christina Ricci stars, along with Kelli Garner and Margot Robbie.
- Among those racking up frequent-flier miles this season on "Amazing Race" are two "Survivor" winners (and lovers) -- Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca. They and 10 other duos will have to deal with "The Hazard," a mysterious new wrinkle in the game. CBS.
- "The Good Wife" returns for a new season in a new time slot and with new complications for Alicia (Emmy-winner Julianna Margulies). The saga picks up shortly after her hotel rendezvous with Will (Josh Charles). Now, what? CBS.
- Expect plenty of familiar folk to drop by "Desperate Housewives" during its eighth and final season, which will revisit some old story lines. Just guessing, but we can probably put down Nicollette Sheridan as a no-show. ABC.
- The Prohibition-era epic, "Boardwalk Empire," returns for its sophomore season and boot-legging baddie Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) is under siege. Not only is he the target of a federal investigation, he's got rival mobsters looking to take him down. HBO.
- There's more trouble for McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) on "Hawaii Five-O" as the governor assigns a new officer (Lauren German) to keep an eye on him. She could be a rival in the making, or an eventual love interest -- or both. CBS.
- On "NCIS," a supposedly squeaky-clean Marine shows up for his homecoming party with a fatal stab wound. Gibbs (Mark Harmon) launches an investigation and is startled by the man's secret past. CBS.
- Newcomer Jane Levy shines as a snarky teen at the heart of the sitcom, "Suburgatory." Her character, Tessa, has a hard time adjusting after her single dad (Jeremy Sisto) abruptly decides to move them out of Manhattan and into the land of picket fences, manicured lawns and weird neighbors. ABC.
- "The Latino List" is a compilation of video portraits of some of the most influential Latinos in the country. Among those included: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, former NASA astronaut Jose Hernandez, actress Eva Longoria and singer Gloria Estefan. HBO.
- The new season of "Private Practice" begins with Addison (Kate Walsh) still very much wanting a baby and Benjamin Bratt joining the cast full-time to play a fertility doctor. You do the math. ABC.
- In "Hugh Laurie: Let Them Talk," the British actor and "House" star explores the rich musical traditions of New Orleans with a tour of the city and performances of his favorite tunes. His passion flows throughout this installment of "Great Performances." PBS.
- Melissa McCarthy is on a roll. Fresh from winning her first Emmy for best actress in a comedy series ("Mike & Molly"), she takes on hosting duties on "Saturday Night Live." Lady Antebellum is the musical guest. NBC.