THE LIST: 'Over the River' ... Writers Conference 101 ... etc.
'Over the River' - Tonight through Sunday: Red River High School is presenting its winter comedy "Over the River and Through the Woods" at 7:30 p.m. tonight and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the RRHS theatre, Grand Forks. A single guy from New Je...
'Over the River'
- Tonight through Sunday: Red River High School is presenting its winter comedy "Over the River and Through the Woods" at 7:30 p.m. tonight and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the RRHS theatre, Grand Forks. A single guy from New Jersey who dines each Sunday evening with both sets of grandparents breaks the news that his long awaited dream job has just arrived. However, it comes with a price and his grandparents are having none of it. Cast: Walter Criswell, Rose Dennis, Cody Gerszewski, Luke Hoplin, Haley Larson, Jen Regimbal. Student directors: Casey Smith, Jenna Spicer. Director: Rich McFarlane. Tickets: Adults, $6; students/senior citizens, $3.
Writers Conference 101
- Sunday at downtown Porpoura: Writers Conference 101 is a chance for people who plan to attend the 41st annual UND Writers Conference March 23-27 to discuss the visiting authors and their works. It's free and there's no homework. Heidi Czerwiec of the UND English Department will lead a discussion about poet Frank X. Walker and his work "When Winter Come" at 2 p.m. Sunday at Porpoura Coffee House, downtown Grand Forks. Find out more: Visit www.undwritersconference.org for bios and links to the authors' home pages. Questions? Kathy Coudle-King, firstname.lastname@example.org , (701) 777-2787.
- Wednesday at the Empire: The Art & Democracy Film Series will present "American Splendor" at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Empire Arts Center, Grand Forks. The 2003 film, with Paul Giamatti, is an original mix of fiction and reality that illuminates the life of comic book hero Harvey Pekar. Admission: Free; discussion will follow. Hosted by Institute for Philosophy in Public Life, Jack Weinstein, UND.
Little River Band
- Tickets on sale Thursday: Little River Band, whose hits include "Happy Anniversary" and "Reminiscing," will perform at Spirit Lake Casino at St. Michael, N.D., on April 9. Tickets will go on sale Thursday, $20 for general admission and $25 for reserved seats. Info: (800) 946-8238, ext. 294.
- Feb. 26 in Grand Forks: The Grand Forks Master Chorale directed by Joshua Bronfman will present Handel's "Dixit Dominus" and Victoria's "Missa O Quam Gloriosum" at 8 p.m. Feb. 26 at First Presbyterian Church, Grand Forks. Tickets at the door: Adults, $15; seniors, $10; students, $5. Info: gfmc.wordpress.com or (701) 777-3376.
- March 4-7 at Central High School: The Central High School spring musical "Anything Goes" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. March 4-6 with a 2 p.m. March 7 matinee in Central Auditorium. "Anything Goes," with music and lyrics by Cole Porter, is an evening of romance, dance, mistaken identities and mismatched lovers. Cast: Hailey Adams, Leah Biberdorf, Rachel Biberdorf, Erin Burns, Michael Byram, Chandler Cline, Michael Colenso, Mike Cornell, Erin Cox, Nick Curtis, Melissa Ege, Sam Erickson, Dan Guthmiller, Tyler Haugen, Ted Helgeson, Amanda Kalka, Carly Johnson, Carmen Johnson, Ryan King, Daniella Lima, Mike McGurran, Katherine McNamara, Melissa Montgomery, Nina-Marie Naone, John Peterson, Cathleen Pollot, Anna Pung, Zach Riveland, Emily Rogne, Kacey Rogne, Keith Shimpa, MeiLi Smith, Matt Stavens, Jacy Thibert, Lynneah Thompson, Dani Thorpe, Maggie Tuck, Laura Woods, Kelsey Yandura, Tessa Yandura. Pit orchestra: Steve Cowger, Shelby Delgelder, Jon Evert, Emily Greuel, Shane Harlow, Audra Hendrickson, Serianna Henkel, Matt Hillestad, Brandon Howe, Joe Kalka, Marissa Lind, Sam Longtin, Taylor Lund, Becky Martin, Lucas Moen, Sara Parnell, Kelsey Peterson, Doug Richards, Jamyn Riveland, Hayley Sansburn, Lance Schultz, Alicia Smith. Crew: Megan Ault, Haley Bratvold, Arianne Cominghay, Joe Frech, Erik Ganyo, Chris Liepold, Alex Rath, Lara Sabatier. Tickets: Adults, $8; students/senior citizens, $4. Available in advance by calling (701) 787-4075.
- Sunday in Stephen, Minn.: The Diers, a father-and-daughters musical trio from Grand Forks, will perform at 2 p.m. Feb. 21 in Community Arts Center, Stephen. Mark Dier plays guitars and sings, daughter Katy Dier is on violin and vocals and daughter Hannah Dier sings lead. They feature bluegrass, country, classic rock, folk and jazz. Pre-concert: Join the Stephen Arts Council for Friends & Family Appreciation before the concert, with pie and coffee from 1 to 1:45 p.m. The refreshments are included in the price of tickets and are a thank-you for supporting the concert series. To sign up for the Friends & Family contact list: E-mail email@example.com , or sign up the day of the concert. Tickets: $10.
- Last three shows: You've got three more chances to see the musical "Annie" presented in Empire Arts Center of Grand Forks by Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre. Performances will continue tonight and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. with a 2 p.m. Sunday matinee. Tickets: $15, $18; call (701) 777-4090; ggfct.org.
- March 10 in Calvary Lutheran: The Concordia College Chapel Choir will present a concert at 8 p.m. March 10 in Calvary Lutheran Church, Grand Forks. The choir from Moorhead blends 90 voices. Originally created to enrich the music of Concordia's morning chapel services, the ensemble now performs in concert and tours annually. The concert program will include familiar hymn tunes, classic a cappella choral works and lively spirituals. Conductor: Michael Smith, Concordia College assistant professor of music (choir/voice), also conducts Cantabile and Männerchor. Admission: Freewill offering. Info: (701) 772-4897.
- Feb. 26 and Feb. 27 in the Empire: Empire Arts Center, Grand Forks, has announced a bluegrass band concert and another show in the Budweiser Blues Series for February. Feb. 26: Monroe Crossing, a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly bluegrass band, will perform at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26. Tickets will be $15. For more info, go to www.monroecrossing.com . Feb. 27: The Budweiser Blues Series will present Minnesota native Brandon Scott Sellner playing music inspired by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 27. Tickets are $18 in advance and $20 at the door. For more info, go to www.myspace.com/brandonscottsellner/ . Advance tickets: Available at Chester Fritz box office, call (701) 777-4090, or go to www.ticketmaster.com/ .
- Feb. 27 in Grand Forks: The Grand Forks-based band Hybrid Soul will headline a Christian rock concert beginning at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 in The Attic, which is on the fourth floor of 308 DeMers Ave., above Crosstown Lounge. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m.; special guests will be One Ten Ride and Rhyme or Reason. Cover charge: $10; $5 advance tickets available at Christian Bookshelf. Sponsor: CrossHub.net, created by Mike Peterson, an online social network for Christian and positive bands, their fans and interested venues. Info: (701) 430-1896.
Feast of Nations
- Feb. 27 in the Alerus: The 48th annual Feast of Nations, with food, entertainment and dancing, will begin at 6 p.m. Feb. 27 at the Alerus Center. Doors will open at 6 p.m. Call for tickets at (701) 777-3622.