THE LIST: More Than Lights ... Rockfest ... Christus Rex Musical Gala ... more
More Than Lights - Thursday at Crosstown Lounge: More Than Lights, a Minneapolis-based hip-hop and funk group, will make its second appearance in Grand Forks, playing at 10 p.m. Thursday at Crosstown Lounge. Unicas and Big Zach, two rappers from ...
More Than Lights
- Thursday at Crosstown Lounge: More Than Lights, a Minneapolis-based hip-hop and funk group, will make its second appearance in Grand Forks, playing at 10 p.m. Thursday at Crosstown Lounge. Unicas and Big Zach, two rappers from the Minneapolis group, Kanser, are frontmen for More than Lights and will perform songs from its debut album, "The Electric Prescription for All Your Funky Illz," a news release said. City Pages of Minneapolis described the album as "a seminal blend of blues and jazz, Latin beats and big band, hip-hop and new-school hotness." Since 2007, More Than Lights has performed at Twin Cities venues such as The Fine Line, First Avenue and The Cabooze, and at Bella Vida Festival, Harvest Fest and Effit Fest. The band has toured in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa and has shared stages with Saul Williams, Brother Ali, Heiruspecs and more. Info: MoreThanLightsMusic.com;
More Than Lights's Myspace Page.
- Friday at Town Square: Rockfest, a concert featuring 10 musical acts from acoustic guitar to death metal, will open at 3 p.m. Friday in Grand Forks Town Square. Here's the line-up: 3 p.m., Kelly Kyle, Grand Forks, vocals and acoustic guitar; 4:30 p.m.; Rome B.C., Grand Forks, (formerly Metanoia) death metal; 5:15 p.m., The Consumption, Grand Forks, metal/hardcore; 6 p.m., 7Kane, Grand Forks, metal/rock; 7 p.m., It Came From the Sea, Bismarck, post hardcore; 7:30 p.m., SER, Grand Forks, punk; 8 p.m. Symbiont, Grand Forks, hard rock/alternative metal; 9 p.m., The Mecan'tiks, Grand Forks, rockabilly; 10 p.m., Aggro Saints, Fargo, punk; 11 p.m., Rotting Thought, Grand Forks, death metal. Admission: $5; beer garden, food vendors available.
- Friday at the Empire: The Christus Rex Musical Gala will be Friday at Empire Arts Center with social hour at 7 p.m. and entertainment beginning at 8 p.m. The event is a benefit for the "Serving Up Justice" programs of Christus Rex and for Community Violence Intervention Center. Tickets are $20. Enjoy desserts by Dakota Harvest, beverages by ADAPT and see displays featuring student servant trips and art. Entertainment will be local artists from Bel Canto Studio and Nancy Pasley Ballet Studio, and Kelsey Peterson. Info: (701) 775-5581.
- Award given: Grand Forks filmmaker Les Sholes has won an Empixx Award for his Internet Video Series storyboardtales.com, a website that features a series of illustrated, dark, comedic videos reminiscent of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "The Twilight Zone." The narrated episodes are 30 to 50 seconds and contain an average of 10 sketches each. The Empixx Award competition is symbolic of the electric motion picture industry, was open to the U.S. and Canada and received almost 700 entries, a news release said. Sholes, creator of storyboardtales.com, won in the Internet Moving Pixels category and received the Platinum Award, the highest honor in the competition. Storyboardtales.com website consists of four easy to navigate pages to watch the videos at no charge to the viewer.
- Fall and winter schedules: Here are schedules for upcoming children's programs at Grand Forks Public Library. Kids Computer Club: Will meet Oct. 2, Nov. 6 and Dec. 4; for primary and elementary school students. Preschool storytime: 10 a.m. Tuesdays; features picture books, finger plays, songs and puppet plays. About 30 minutes. Toddler storytime (babies welcome): 10 a.m. Thursdays; features short picture books, finger plays, puppet shows and songs for children as old as 3. About 20 minutes. 39 Clues Club: 3:45 p.m. Oct. 6 and Nov. 3, 2 p.m. Dec. 1; discussions about The 39 Clues book series, along with things relating to the books. New members welcome. R.E.A.D. Dogs: 10 a.m. Oct. 9, Nov. 13, Dec. 11; young readers experience the support and encouragement of a READ dog. Sign up in the Children's Department. Info: (701) 772-8116.