THE LIST: Miss GF ... Four Mile Portage ... Ballet ... etc.
Miss GF - Saturday in the Empire: Miss North Dakota Ashley Ford will be master of ceremonies at 7 p.m. Saturday when 11 women compete for three titles in the Miss Grand Forks Scholarship Competition in the Empire Arts Center. The Miss Grand Forks...
- Saturday in the Empire: Miss North Dakota Ashley Ford will be master of ceremonies at 7 p.m. Saturday when 11 women compete for three titles in the Miss Grand Forks Scholarship Competition in the Empire Arts Center. The Miss Grand Forks, Miss Empire and Miss Eastern Dakota titles will be awarded, and the titleholders will qualify for the Miss North Dakota competition June 12 in Williston, N.D. Other performers: Actor/vocalist Cody Oss, Grand Forks; Miss Grand Forks 2009 Justine Kirkeide; Miss North Dakota Outstanding Teen Becca Lebak, Bismarck; national award-winning dancer Kylie Helm, Bismarck, dancers from North Dakota Ballet Company. Tickets: $10 at the door.
Four Mile Portage
- Saturday in Grand Forks: North Country Fiddle and Dance will sponsor a Mid-Winter Dance with music by Four Mile Portage of Duluth from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday in the Grand Forks Senior Center. Four Mile Portage is Tom Maloney on banjo and Brandy Forsman on fiddle. This event is for all ages, couples, singles, students, families and seniors. All dances will be taught and called. Admission: Suggested donation, $5.
- Jan. 22-24 in the Empire: "Coppelia," the classic ballet about a doll that seemingly comes to life, will be presented by the North Dakota Ballet Company at 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2 and 7 p.m. Jan. 23 and 2 p.m. Jan. 24 in the Empire Arts Center, Grand Forks. More than 100 local dancers ages 3 to 30 will take part in the fun and comedic ballet. Brooke Erickson and Alex Morrison will dance the principal roles. Special guests: Carly Schaub, Charis Vogel. Featured soloists: Erin Porter, Lauren Fischer, Emily Burkland, Andrea Polries. Tickets: $12; available through Ticketmaster outlets and at the door. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.; tickets go on sale about one hour before each show. Info: (701) 746-6044.
Weddings & Proms
- Sunday in the Alerus: The 22nd annual Everything for Weddings & Proms, an event that will feature a fashion show and door prizes, will be from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Alerus Center Ballroom, Grand Forks. Tickets: $5 at the door.
- Jan. 22-23 in the Alerus: Professional Championship Bullriding will return to the Grand Forks Alerus Center at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 22-23 and tickets are on sale now. Tickets: $17, $25; available at the Alerus Center box office, charge by phone, (800) 745-3000; or online at ticketmaster.com.
- Auditions Monday and Tuesday: Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre will hold open auditions at 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in Fire Hall Theatre for "St. Bette's," a drama by Grand Forks playwright Kathy Coudle King. There is nothing to prepare; auditions will be by cold reading. Directed by Adonica Schultz Aune, "St. Bette's" takes place 40 years ago as four women enter a home for unwed mothers. Info: Go to www.ggfct.com , e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . Show dates: March 4-6, 11-13, 18-20 at 7:30 p.m.; March 7 and 14, 2 p.m.
- Jan. 22-24 at UND: The UND Department of Music will host its 25th annual Honor Band, Choir & Orchestra Festival on Jan. 22-24 including two concerts. Jan. 22: UND band and choir ensembles will present a free showcase concert at 4 p.m. at Chester Fritz Auditorium, with pre- and post-concert performances in the lobby. Jan. 24: The 245 high school students in the UND Honor Band, Choir and Orchestra will present a 2:30 p.m. concert in UND's Chester Fritz Auditorium. Admission: Adult, $6; students/senior citizens, $3; families (two adults, two children), $12; available at the door. Info: (701) 777-2644.
- Jan. 28 at the Empire: The next Masters of Guitar concert in Grand Forks will feature Peppino D'Agostino, named best acoustic guitarist in 2007 by Guitar Player magazine, at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 28 in the Empire Arts Center. Tickets: $18; $15 for Empire members; available in advance at Chester Fritz box office. (701)777-4090.
'Old & New'
- Jan. 30 in First Presbyterian Church: The Greater Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra will present "Old & New," a concert featuring small ensemble music by composers from the Baroque era and later, at 8 p.m. Jan. 30 in First Presbyterian Church, Grand Forks. Tickets: Available at www.ggfso.org , or at the door beginning one hour before the performance. Info: (701) 777-3359.