THE LIST: 'Grits and Glamour' ... 'Cinderella' ... 'Rats!'
'Grits and Glamour' - Friday at Mahnomen, Minn.: Country music stars Lorrie Morgan and Pam Tillis are bringing their "Grits and Glamour" tour to Shooting Star Casino in Mahnomen at 8 p.m. Friday, sharing their songs and stories about their lives....
'Grits and Glamour'
- Friday at Mahnomen, Minn.: Country music stars Lorrie Morgan and Pam Tillis are bringing their "Grits and Glamour" tour to Shooting Star Casino in Mahnomen at 8 p.m. Friday, sharing their songs and stories about their lives. The show promises to be an intimate, personal experience, as the two talented musicians share the stage and sing their hits, such as Morgan's "Something in Red," "What Part of No," "Watch Me," and Tillis' "Maybe it was Memphis," "Don't Tell Me What to Do," and "Shake the Sugar Tree." Tickets: Start at $15; (800) 311-SHOW; or via the Shooting Star's Facebook page.
'Cinderella' and 'Rats!'
- Opening Thursday at the Empire: The Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre is presenting "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella" and "Rats!" at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at Empire Arts Center, Grand Forks. Additional dates: 7 p.m. March 1 to 3 and 2 p.m. March 4. Tickets: $15; $12 for students, senior citizens and military personnel with ID. Tickets for groups of 12 or more, $10 each. Reservations: (701) 777-4090.
- Feb. 28 at UND: The UND Department of Music will present a faculty solo and chamber music recital at 8 p.m. Feb. 28 in the Josephine Campbell Recital Hall, UND Hughes Fine Arts Center, Grand Forks. The faculty, supplemented by artists and teachers from the Greater Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra and Grand Forks Public Schools, will perform solo voice, brass trio, piano trio and woodwind ensemble. Featured composers will be Schubert, Bellini, Gounod, Arensky and Plog. Fundraiser: This concert is a fundraiser for UND music scholarships; a freewill offering will be taken. Info: Elizabeth Rheude, (701) 777-2823.
Sons of Norway
- March 5 in Crookston: Martin Breaker, retired Army Reserve colonel, will speak at 7 p.m. March 5 at Crookston Morgensol Sons of Norway meeting, about his three years in Iraq as commander of the Abu Ghraib and Camp Cropper detention facilities. The meeting will be at the Golden Link Senior Center, 324 N. Main St., Crookston. Lunch will be served.
- March 11 in East Grand Forks: Northern Valley Youth Orchestras will present a concert at 3 p.m. March 11 at the East Grand Forks Performing Arts Center adjoining East Grand Forks Senior High School. The will play compositions written to depict culture, nature, time and space ranging from Vivaldi's famous "Four Seasons" to the "Star Wars Theme." Allegro: An introductory-level string orchestra conducted by Ligia Feo de Drago will play selections including Celtic Dance and English Folk Song Suite. Philharmonic: An intermediate string orchestra conducted by Valdin Buchmeier will perform works including Green Fields and "Jig" from St Paul's Suite. NVYO Symphony: Conducted by Christina Chen-Beyers, the advanced string, wind, brass and percussion students will perform "Thunder and Lightning Polka" and "Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, featuring John Gangelhoff as violin soloist. As part of NVYO's educational continuum, each orchestra will experience a side-by-side performance with a more advanced ensemble. Tickets: $5; 12 and younger free; military and educator tickets, $3; available at the door. Non-perishable food and personal care items will be collected for food banks in North Dakota and Minnesota.
Quilts, scrapping, stamping
- At Park River (N.D.) Bible Camp: A Cabin Fever Reliever Quilt Retreat is planned for March 9 to 11 at Park River Bible Camp. Quilters will have their choice of making a Crazy Daisy Window Quilt and Paintstick Class or of bringing their own unfinished quilt project. The cost will be $90; for more information, call (701) 284-6795. Scrapping and stamping: Let's Monkey Around! A scrapping and stamping retreat, will be March 16 to 18 at the Park River Bible Camp. Cost will be $110; for information, call (701) 284-6795 or email email@example.com .