The List: 'Good Hair' ... Socrates Cafe ... "Thons" show ... etc.
'Good Hair' - Tonight at UND Memorial Union: "Good Hair," a 2009 movie starring actor/comedian Chris Rock, will be shown at 7 tonight at UND Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, Grand Forks. The movie is the first in this semester's Global Visions Film S...
- Tonight at UND Memorial Union: "Good Hair," a 2009 movie starring actor/comedian Chris Rock, will be shown at 7 tonight at UND Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, Grand Forks. The movie is the first in this semester's Global Visions Film Series presented by the UND Department of Anthropology. Rock had no idea what he was in for when he decided to investigate the complex, often troubled relationship between African-American women and their crowning glory. Rated PG-13 for some language including sex and drug references and brief partial nudity (1:36). Admission: $1 suggested donation.
- Tonight in Grand Forks: Ferguson Books and Media, 3750 32nd Ave. S., will host Socrates Cafe, a roundtable conversation about philosophy in everyday life, from 7 to 9 tonight. It's free and open to the public. Info: (701) 738-8025.
- Opening on Thursday: "Thons," a show by Tricia Halvorson Lunski, will open Thursday at Third Street Gallery on Kittson, Grand Forks, and run through March 1. Lunski works with magazine collage and layered images. Opening reception: 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday; meet the artist and enjoy refreshments. Info: (701) 757-3333.
- Thursday in Bismarck: Rep. Eliot Glassheim, D-Grand Forks, will read from his book of poems "Foreign Exchange: American Encounters in China," from 12:10 to 12:40 p.m. Thursday in the Great Hall of the Capitol in Bismarck. The reading is sponsored by the North Dakota Museum of Art and the North Dakota Council on the Arts. Glassheim's book, published by the North Dakota Museum of Art, was just released and contains collages by his wife, artist Dyan Rey, and a preface by North Dakota Museum of Art director Laurel Reuter. Rey's "Vase Series," the images in the book, will be on display in the Great Hall throughout the day. Birthday cake (Thursday will be Glassheim's birthday) and coffee will be provided. Books will be available for purchase.
- Saturday at UND: The Northeast District Junior Music Festival will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at UND Hughes Fine Arts Center, Grand Forks, with more than 400 entries from student musicians. Three vocal judges and nine piano judges will be adjudicators. Students compete to earn points for a gold cup. All solo work must be memorized. The event has been held at UND since 1972. Sponsors: Thursday Music Club of Greater Grand Forks, North Dakota Federation of Music Clubs.
- Sunday in Cando, N.D.: Cando Arts Council's Valentine's Day fundraiser, "Just Desserts," will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at the Cando Arts Center. Tickets available at the door.
- Beginning on Sunday in Mayville, N.D.: Rehearsals for the seventh annual "Nights on Broadway" at Mayville State University will begin at 6 p.m. Sunday in the MSU Classroom Building. "Nights on Broadway" is a celebration of musical theater, this year featuring the music of George and Ira Gershwin and other Broadway songs. Participants can be high school age and older. There will be no auditions; just be there and be prepared to rehearse. Past events have raised more than $7,500 for MSU theater and scholarships. Performance dates: March 26-27. Info: Greta Kyllo, (701) 786-2898; firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Opening reception Monday at UND: The UND Art Student Collective will host the annual High School Juried Art Exhibition from Monday through Feb. 17 at Colonel Eugene E. Myers Art Gallery at the UND Hughes Fine Arts Center, Grand Forks. The opening reception will be from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Monday, and award recipients will be announced at that time. The show will feature works by high school seniors from North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota. This year, two professors from the UND Department of Art and Design will serve as jurors for the exhibit. Gallery hours: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Info: (701) 777-2257.
'A Cappella Showcase'
- Feb. 20 in East Grand Forks: Twin Forks Sweet Adelines will present "A Cappella Showcase" at 3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the East Grand Forks Performing Arts Center. This is Twin Forks Sweet Adelines' major fundraiser for the year. Featured acts will be quartets Fall Creek, Whistle Stop and Chording Around; plus chorus numbers from the Valley Chordsmen. Also performing will be the Grand Forks Valley Middle School Valley Voices, directed by Melody Popejoy, and the Valley Middle School seventh-grade girls' ensemble. Tickets: Adults, $10; children/senior citizens, $8; family rate, $15. Info: Carol, (218) 791-2177.