THE LIST: All-State Choir ... 'Precious' ... Band, winds concert
All-State Choir - EGF students honored: East Grand Forks Senior High School Concert Choir students Kaylen Larson and Tom Gander were chosen to perform with the Minnesota All-State Choirs Feb. 18 at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. Gander performed ...
- EGF students honored: East Grand Forks Senior High School Concert Choir students Kaylen Larson and Tom Gander were chosen to perform with the Minnesota All-State Choirs Feb. 18 at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. Gander performed with the Men's Choir directed by Axel Theimer, St. John's University and College of St. Benedict. Larson sang with the Mixed Choir directed by Geoffrey Boers, director of Choral Activities at University of Washington, Seattle.
- Tonight at UND: The Global Visions Film Series will present "Precious" at 7 tonight at the UND Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, Grand Forks. The 2009 movie stars Gabourey Sidibe as Precious, an overweight, illiterate teen in Harlem, pregnant with her second child, who is enrolled in an alternative school to help her find a new direction in life. More about the movie: The cast features Mo'Nique, Paula Patton; director is Lee Daniels; (1:49); rated R. Admission: Suggested donation, $1.
Band, winds concert
- March 6 at UND: The UND Wind Ensemble and University Band, conducted by James Popejoy, will present a concert at 8 p.m. March 6 at Chester Fritz Auditorium on the UND campus. Wind Ensemble program: "Centennial Fanfare March," Roger Nixon; "Fantasy on a Japanese Folk Song," Samuel R. Hazo; "Paris Sketches," Martin Ellerby; "Finale," Fourth Symphony, Peter Tchaikovsky. Guest soloist: Cory Driscoll, senior trumpet performance major, performing "Rose Variations," Robert Russell Bennett. University Band program: "Finale," Second Symphony, Peter Tchaikovsky; "Salvation is Created," Pavel Tschesnokoff, setting by Bruce Houseknecht; "Paintings," William Owens; "Shadow Rituals," Michael Markowski; "Foundry," John Mackey; "Young Person's Guide to John Williams." Tickets: Adults, $6; students/senior citizens, $3; families, $12. Info: (701) 777-2815.
- April 19-22 at Red River High School: The Grand Forks Red River High School department of fine arts will present the school edition of "Les Miserables" at 7:30 p.m. April 19 to 21 and 2 p.m. April 22 at the Red River High School theater. Reserved seating: Adults, $8; students/senior citizens, $4; reservations, (701) 746-2411.
Birds in the backyard
- March 12 at East Grand Forks Campbell Library: Heidi Hughes of the Agassiz Audubon Society will present "How to Attract Birds to Your BackYard" at 6:30 p.m. March 12 at East Grand Forks Campbell Library. Hughes, author of "The Expert's Guide to Backyard Bird Feeding," will show you how to identify birds and share tips on how to get the birds you want to see. She'll show how to outwit squirrels and have fun hand-taming chickadees and hummingbirds. Info: (218) 773-9121.
- March 23-25 at the Alerus: The Home Design and Garden Show will be from 4 to 9 p.m. March 23, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 24 and from noon to 5 p.m. March 25 at the Alerus Center. Tickets: Adults, $5; senior citizens, $4; 12 and younger, free; available at the Alerus Center box office.