BOOK NOTES...Washington's Secret War...Awkward Family Pet Photos...Nigel's Choice
BOOK NOTES East Grand Forks Campbell Library o "Nigel's Choice: My Iditarod Adventure," Nancy Yoshida. In this adventure aimed at middle school readers, Yoshida tells her story of her 2009 Iditarod Race through the eyes of her dogs. o "Hedy's Fol...
East Grand Forks Campbell Library
• "Nigel's Choice: My Iditarod Adventure," Nancy Yoshida. In this adventure aimed at middle school readers, Yoshida tells her story of her 2009 Iditarod Race through the eyes of her dogs.
• "Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World," Richard Rhodes. In 1940, Lamarr, trying to help the war effort, invented what would become the precursor to many wireless technologies.
• "Washington's Secret War: The Hidden History of Valley Forge," Thomas Fleming. How Washington's troops fended off starvation and disease at Valley Forge while threats of mutiny swirled.
• "The Good, The Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History," E. Randall Floyd. A blend of American history and People magazine with a little punch of the Twilight Zone, Floyd examines Americans who achieved fame and fortune despite their peculiarities.
• "The Scratch of a Pen: 1763 and the Transformation of North America," Colin G. Calloway. The Treaty of Paris of 1763 had a profound effect on American history, setting in motion unexpected consequences for Indians and Europeans, settlers and frontiersmen.
Grand Forks Public Library
• "The American Railway: Its Construction, Development, Management, and Appliances," Thomas Curtis Clarke. Tracing the railroad boom of the 1880s, this exciting reprint examines the shaping of the railroad industry at the end of the 20th century; with pictures.
• "Face Your Fears: A Proven Plan to Beat Anxiety, Panic, Phobias, and Obsessions," David Tolin. A psychologist and faculty member at Yale University School of Medicine explains fear and a program to overcome phobias and anxiety.
• "Awkward Family Pet Photos," Mike Bender and Doug Chernack. The latest installation of Awkward Family Photos reminds us all that loving your pet can sometimes make things even more awkward.
• "Bully! The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt: Illustrated with More than 250 Vintage Political Cartoons," Rick Marschall. A look at the 26th president using the vintage cartoons that immortalized Roosevelt's defining moments and features.