An unattached garage fire, that was reported at about 1:30 p.m. at 1615 Ninth Ave. N., resulted in about $1,500 in damages.

Construction work was being done in the garage in the alley when a live wire was struck.

Firefighters first found smoke coming from the attic vent and the overhead garage door. The fire started in the ceiling area and spread into the attic, according to Battalion Chief Douglas Stern, of the Grand Forks Fire Department. Homeowners were home at the time and partially extinguished the fire prior to the arrival of fire crews, who used a small amount of water. The fire was under control at about 1:40 p.m. Cause of the fire was determined to be overheated wires. No injuries were reported.



No one was injured.