It's hard to believe Fred Liang's intricate artwork is, at its most basic, just a few sheets of paper.
Derived from the folk art of jianzhi (paper cut), Liang puts a modern spin on the traditional pieces by creating drawings, installations and sculptures with paper-cut artwork.
Liang's exhibit "A Bubble in a Stream" will be on display in the North Dakota Museum of Art Saturday through Dec. 13.
"I also tinker with subtle, symbolic implications and metaphors that connect the past and present, east and west, philosophy and religion," Liang said in a press release.
The official exhibit opening begins at 5 p.m. Saturday, followed by a Liang-led gallery talk at 6 and a Grand Forks Master Chorale concert, "Ice, Iron and Stone," at 7:30 p.m.
If you can't make it to the opening, regular gallery hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
• What: "A Bubble in a Stream" opening.
• When: 5 p.m. Saturday.
• Where: North Dakota Museum of Art.
• Cost: Free.
• Info: ndmoa.com.
'Legends of Terror'
Those looking for some pre-Halloween fun should look no further than the Myra Museum grounds. The Grand Forks County Historical Society's "Legends of Terror" leads guests on a creepy pathway through several haunted houses.
• What: "Legends of Terror."
• When: 8 p.m. to midnight today and Saturday.
• Where: Myra Museum.
• Cost: $10.
• Info: (701) 775-2216.
Quilting on the Red
Want to pick up or expand on a hobby to keep you warm this winter? The North Star Quilters Guild will host its annual Quilting on the Red event-featuring lectures by Cindy Erickson and Amanda Jean Nyberg, a quilt show, vendors and a silent auction-this weekend in the Alerus Center.
• What: Quilting on the Red.
• When: 5 to 8:30 p.m. today, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Alerus Center.
• Cost: $5 per day, with an additional cost of $12 each for the lectures.
• Info: northstarquilters.org.
Boo Bees 5K
If you're looking to stay active while supporting a cause, head to The Blue Moose in East Grand Forks on Saturday for the fourth annual Boo Bees 5K Run and Walk, benefitting the American Cancer Society.
• What: Boo Bees 5K Run and Walk.
• When: 10 a.m. Saturday; registration begins at 9.
• Where: The Blue Moose.
• Cost: $30 for adults; $20 for kids 12 and younger.
• Info: inmotionrunning.com.
Tummy to Tot Expo
Have a little one on the way? Find the latest products, safety information and services for expecting parents, infants and toddlers Sunday at Safe Kids Grand Forks' Tummy to Tot Expo in the Alerus Center.
• What: Tummy to Tot Expo.
• When: Noon to 3 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Alerus Center.
• Cost: $7.
• Info: safekidsgf.com.