Barbara Louise Cotton vanished from Williston, N.D. on April 11, 1981, never to be heard from again.
Her case is considered open and ongoing by both the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the Williston Police Department. She is officially listed as a "missing person." North Dakota law enforcement remain consistently tight-lipped about cold cases in the state. The North Dakota Attorney General's cold case page states the following: "These cold cases are active investigations, and therefore we are not able to release records or provide additional information."
On April 11, 2021 Dakota Spotlight Podcast joined friends and family of Barbara Cotton in a celebration of her life at Recreation park in Williston. Members of the community joined representatives of the Williston police department to offer their support to the Cotton family.
"It's a special day," said Katie Ryan-Anderson who drove from Jamestown to attend the gathering. "It's a beautiful day, but a bittersweet day."
In episode 12 of Dakota Spotlight:
- Sounds from the celebration of Barbara's life in Recreation Park on Sunday April, 11, 2021
- 3 interviews with persons who believe they saw Barbara on the night they disappeared.
- A frustrated former resident of Williston just wants to be heard by law enforcement.
- To get the full story on Barbara Cotton and this perplexing mystery start at the beginning by listening to episode one.
Listen to Episode 12
Listen to Previous Episodes:
- Episode 1: "Five Blocks from Home" explores the night Barbara went missing from the perspective of her childhood friend Sandee Evanson. Read more about this unsolved mystery and listen to Episode 1: Five blocks from home.
Episode 2: "Tributaries of the Truth" we attempt to untangle the confusion surrounding Barbara's last known whereabouts. We also look closer at the question: Could Barbara Cotton have simply run away? Listen to Episode 2: Tributaries of the Truth
Episode 3: We look closer look at the initial police investigation. We also ask the question: might Barbara's kindness and big heart have led to her demise? Listen to Episode 5: She was gentle and kind
Episode 11: episode 11 was a 7 minute update about technical difficulties with the facebook group.
Information about Missing Kids
True Crime podcasts BY JAMES WOLNER
- Tragedy in a small town : the Zick murders of 1976.
- The House on Sweet & 7th : the Erickstad homicides.
- Chasing Billy: A Pursuit for Justice
CLICK BELOW FOR MORE TRUE CRIME REPORTING FROM FORUM COMMUNICATIONS DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX