The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council has announced that Aug. 1 is the deadline to apply for arts projects and legacy grants.

Grants are awarded to nonprofit arts organizations, communities, schools, individuals and other organizations in the council’s service area: Kittson, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake and Roseau counties.

Through the Arts Legacy Grant Program, grants of up to $10,000 are available for the funding of artistic activities in the seven-county service area. The funds can be used for arts projects, arts equipment, general support, public arts projects and arts events in northwest Minnesota.

The Arts Project Grant Program is used primarily for small budget arts projects and the sponsorship of performances of touring companies and artists. Grant awards, which may total up to $3,000 each, require a cash match.

These two grant programs provide opportunities for activities such as festivals, community theater projects, folk music entertainment, sponsorship of visual demonstrations, creative writing workshops, and other events that improve the quality of life of people living in northwest Minnesota, said Mara Hanel, the council’s executive director.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

Schools also may apply for an Artist Residency grant of $2,100, plus an additional $400 if residency supplies are needed.

“Our teaching artist roster online is a great resource to view artists available to teach in our area,” Hanel said.

Go to and click on Artists Directories on the left navigation bar and then on Teaching Artist Roster. Another resource to view artists available to enhance curriculum is COMPAS, she said.

The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council is also offering, on a first-come first-served basis, Quick Turn Around Grants for $500. These grants may be used for missed gigs or lost income due to the pandemic.

For more information, or to start an application, visit . The grant application is complete online and Hanel will guide the applicant through the process, she said. For assistance, contact her at or call (218) 745-8886.