RYAN BAKKEN: October quiz could be 'who saw that coming?'
Kim Kardashian divorced after just 72 days? Really? Who saw that coming? Well, probably the same people who see winter coming. And probably the same people who see another lame news quiz coming. Yes, the October News Quiz is here. There are no qu...
Kim Kardashian divorced after just 72 days? Really? Who saw that coming?
Well, probably the same people who see winter coming. And probably the same people who see another lame news quiz coming.
Yes, the October News Quiz is here. There are no questions about Kim, because I think we should leave her alone with her grief and the $18 million she received for the wedding's television rights.
Money can't buy you love. Nor can it buy you a perfect score on the October News Quiz. So, bite your lip and test your memory about news that was less tragic than Kim and Kris.
1. Why were Ralph Engelstad Arena big screen appearances by Beer Grandma discouraged?
A) UND wants to highlight students.
B) UND wants to deemphasize drinking.
C) Political correctness rules on college campuses.
D) Sioux players were distracted by her hotness.
2. Who has been affected the most by the American Crystal Sugar lockout?
A) Locked-out workers.
B) Small-town businesses that rely on salary-spending workers.
C) ACS growers, who fear factory production may slide.
D) ACS executives, who have $1 million bonuses but no time to spend them.
3. The NBA season hasn't started because team owners want:
A) More revenue.
B) More parity.
C) A cap on salaries.
D) A cap on tattoos.
4. Why did North Dakota growers have half the crop of 2010 in 2011?
A) Wheat was hurt by flooding.
B) Sugar beets were hurt by late planting.
C) Soybeans were hurt by hail.
D) Corn was hurt by fugitives hiding in the field.
5. Dickinson State was discovered to be inflating its enrollment when a student turned out to be:
A) A Dickinson vice-president.
B) The Dickinson mayor.
C) The Dickinson mayor's wife.
D) The Dickinson mayor's cat.
6. Why do the Minnesota Vikings want a new stadium?
A) The 30-year-old Metrodome is old and worn.
B) A new stadium would have more seats.
C) A new stadium would generate more revenue.
D) A new stadium would divert attention from the action.
7. People were most excited in October about the opening of:
B) Olive Garden.
C) Ruby Tuesday.
D) Moammar Gadhafi's grave.
8. The Ho coming to Grand Forks is:
A) A sports bar.
B) A casino.
C) An entertainment facility located at site of former Westward Ho.
D) Decorated in black, fishnet stockings.
9. The forecasted La Nina conditions mean:
A) A winter colder than normal.
B) A winter snowier than normal.
C) A winter longer than normal.
D) A stay in Arizona longer than normal.
10. What is Steve Jobs' legacy?
A) He made the iPod fashionable.
B) He made the iPad fashionable.
C) He made iTunes fashionable.
D) He made nerds fashionable.
Reach Bakken at (701) 780-1125; (800) 477-6572, ext. 125; or send e-mail to email@example.com .