ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Fire injures people suspected of illegally 'squatting' in West Fargo storage building

Fire crews were called to the scene around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 2.

04021801_WFFIRECELLvo.Still001.jpg
Flames at a storage unit in West Fargo on Saturday.
Submitted by Nicholas Mackner and Robin Rasmusson.
We are part of The Trust Project.

WEST FARGO — At least one person was injured in a storage unit fire here.

The blaze was called into firefighters at 2:32 p.m. Saturday, April 2, for a building on fire at 650 2nd Ave. N.W.

(Fire video courtesy of Nicholas Mackner and Robin Rasmusson)

Video from witnesses shows flames filling up the inside of the large storage facility with a great deal of smoke pouring out. WDAY Photojournalist Finn Harrison said the smell of the fire was noticeable from several blocks away. It took crews at least an hour to get the flames put out.

West Fargo Fire Chief Dan Fuller told WDAY News in a press conference there were squatters inside the storage unit when the fire started. They believe a space heater might be to blame but are still working to clear out hot spots so they can investigate.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to a press release from the West Fargo Fire Department, nobody was found at the scene upon arrival, but the department was notified that individuals were treated at a local hospital for burn injuries.

Related Topics: FIRES
What to read next