Jennifer Johnson is the K-12 education reporter for The Grand Forks Herald. Contact her if you have any story ideas or tips and visit www.grandforksherald.com.
- Member for
- 2 years 7 months
THOMPSON, N.D. — Some students who watched Kat Perkins perform Tuesday in Thompson, N.D., couldn’t help but gush. “It was just really inspiring,” said seventh-grader Liam Schull. The Minneapolis-based Perkins,...
East Grand Forks Senior High and other regional schools in Minnesota reported higher four-year graduation rates in 2014 than the statewide average of 81 percent, according to data from the state Department of Education Tuesday. But five counties in the region -- Kittson, Roseau, Marshall, Pennington, Polk and Red Lake -- reported totals that bested the state rate by at least 7 percent. Polk County reported an overall 88 percent rate while Red Lake County reported 95 percent. The increasing rates reflect a statewide trend.
Next year, Grand Forks Public Schools classes will start after Labor Day after a School Board vote Monday. Four of six members present at the meeting voted in favor of...
The superintendent of Grand Forks Public Schools received an overall positive job review, but could still use improvement in some areas, according to evaluation forms. Larry Nybladh has shown "exemplary" leadership in the district but could be more approachable as a leader and better align his goals with that of the community, School Board members wrote. The district superintendent evaluation committee met Thursday to discuss his performance. Six of 14 possible board members -- including ones from the Grand Forks Air Force Base -- filled out the evaluation.
Josh Brooks, a senior at Thompson Public School, is a finalist for the National Merit Scholarship, according to Superintendent John Maus. Maus said it's rare for the district to have National Merit finalists. High school students can take a qualifying test for the program that serves as an initial screening of about 1.5 million entrants each year.
North Dakota educators can improve students' advanced placement scores through training from the National Math and Science Initiative, according to the state Department of Public Instruction. Informational sessions on the programs -- College Readiness and Laying the Foundation -- will be offered to state educators and administrators in March in Bismarck and Fargo. The opportunity comes as school districts nationwide are encouraging students toward math and science careers.
Annelee Woodstrom had told the story many times before. In 1935, she first became aware of Adolf Hitler as a 9-year-old in Germany and wanted "nothing more" than to become part of his student youth league. But that changed as World War II unfolded, forcing her to separate from her family as a teen, fear for her life in a bomb shelter and eventually travel 90 miles on foot to return home. She said she found peace through her marriage to Kenny Woodstrom, a Minnesota soldier among the "Monuments Men" documented in a movie last year.
The Manvel (N.D.) School District superintendent said his school is like any other when it comes to low gas prices. "We always like it when we pay less money," said Richard Ray. Fuel prices have begun to increase again, but warmer winter temperatures and lower-than-average fuel costs have saved some districts 20 percent or more in transportation costs so far since last year, according to school officials. The price of diesel fuel, which runs many district buses, hasn't dropped as much as gasoline.
First- and second-grade students at West Elementary performed two sound stories as part of their winter concert Tuesday. Students used xylophones, metallophones and glockenspiels to help bring the tales of the "Three Billy Goats Gruff" and "Chicken Little" alive to the audience.
Several Grand Forks students will be honored today at The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards in Fargo, according to the district. Five Central High School students — Molly Feland, Lily Ferguson, Virginia Brower, Nicole Rothenberger and Hannah Shawstad — will be receiving gold or silver key awards for writing submissions.