Jack Dura / Bismarck Tribune
NEW TOWN, N.D. — Two weeks after Olivia Lone Bear's disappearance, investigators handling the case are interviewing and re-interviewing people recorded on a video with the woman. Lone Bear, 32, of New Town, was last seen Oct. 24. Three Affiliated Tribes Police Detective Sam Lincoln said there is one man in particular that he would like to talk with again.
NEW TOWN, N.D. — Heading into the weekend, searchers on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation still have no sign of Olivia Lone Bear. The 32-year-old mother of five was last seen leaving a New Town saloon on Oct. 24. Fifty-four searchers turned out Thursday, Nov. 3, and 38 on Friday to find her. Search efforts have included K9s and Civil Air Patrol for air support and telephone forensics. Three Affiliated Tribes Police Detective Sam Lincoln said weather has now affected air support.
NEW TOWN, N.D. — Residents and law enforcement of the Fort Berthold Reservation are looking for a woman missing since early last week. Olivia Keri Lone Bear, 32, was last seen the evening of Oct. 24 leaving Ranchman's 23 Saloon and Steakhouse at New Town. She left driving a teal 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT crew cab with a silver toolbox and North Dakota license plate 839 BRC. Her father, Texx Lone Bear, said he knew something was wrong when one of Olivia's children found her wallet with her ID in her room on Oct. 25.
BISMARCK—Two weeks after his injury in an officer-involved shooting, the man charged with attacking the officer before being shot has been arrested and handed a no-contact order. Donald Joseph Miller, 51, is charged with felony counts of robbery with serious bodily injury and simple assault on a peace officer related to his alleged attack on a Bismarck police officer on Oct. 15 at the Bismarck Motor Motel. He was arrested Friday afternoon and is held at the Burleigh-Morton County Detention Center, pending $150,000 cash bond.
ROLLA, N.D.—After returning from two weeks of hauling sugar beets, Rolla's chief of police has been fired. At a Rolla City Council meeting on Oct. 18, Mayor Scott Mitchell motioned to remove Joe Boehm after the police chief said he wouldn't resign at the mayor's request that morning. In his motion, Mitchell cited no reasons to remove Boehm "other than we need to go in a different direction."
MANDAN, N.D.—Mary Redway is doing OK after her release Monday from a four-day jail sentence. "I'm fine. I'm out. I'm a free woman," she said. Convicted Oct. 19 of misdemeanor disorderly conduct by Surrogate Judge Thomas Merrick, Redway, 64, and 27-year-old Alexander Simon are the first defendants to be sentenced to serve jail time in criminal cases related to the Dakota Access protests. The South Central District Court and Water Protector Legal Collective confirmed they are the first defendants to receive such sentences: four days for Redway, 18 for Simon.
BISMARCK — A prominent figure of the Dakota Access protests will ask a judge next week to allow a necessity defense claiming the perceived threat of the pipeline left him no choice to commit his alleged crimes. Attorney Chase Iron Eyes, also a Standing Rock Sioux tribal member and North Dakota's 2016 Democratic House candidate, is charged with felony inciting a riot and misdemeanor criminal trespass. He has pleaded innocent.
BISMARCK—After pleading guilty, a Fargo man accused of threatening to kill his former son-in-law has a chance to keep his clean record. Meanwhile, his daughter, Patricia Motl, is set for trial for allegedly sending feces to the same victim—her ex-husband.
MANDAN, N.D. — Two men accused of ramming a pipeline security officer's truck last year will see their cases dismissed if they fulfill pretrial diversion agreements. Judge Joel Medd signed the orders Tuesday for Michael Fasig and Israel Hernandez, who were charged with another co-defendant, Brennon Nastacio, after the October 2016 incident during protests of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
MANDAN, N.D. — One year after her arrest, the first journalist charged in connection to last year's pipeline protests went to trial Wednesday, Oct. 18, where she was acquitted. Sara Lafleur-Vetter was filming for The Guardian, a London-based news outlet, when she was arrested on Oct. 22, 2016. After a daylong misdemeanor court trial with four other co-defendants, Southeast District Court Judge Thomas Merrick dismissed her misdemeanor charges of physical obstruction of a government function, disobedience of safety orders during a riot and disorderly conduct.