OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Game and Fish Department meetings, State park interpretive programs, Winter hikes etc.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
N.D. Game and Fish Advisory Board
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department hosts these meetings twice a year in each of the state's eight advisory board districts. Department personnel will be on hand to discuss hunting and fishing issues and answer questions. Remaining meetings are set for:
• Dec. 4: District 5 (Cass, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Steele and Traill counties), 7 p.m., Community Center, 299 Fourth Ave., Cogswell, N.D. Cogswell Gun Club is host. Info: Advisory board member Duane Hanson, West Fargo, (701) 367-4249.
• Dec. 4: District 8 (Adams, Billings, Bowman, Dunn, Golden Valley, Hettinger, Slope and Stark counties), 7 p.m., Eagles Club, 31 First Ave E., Dickinson. Hosted by Dickinson Pheasants Forever chapter. Info: Advisory board member Dwight Hecker, Dickinson, (701) 483-4952.
• Dec. 5: District 1 (Divide, McKenzie and Williams counties), 7 p.m., Civic Center, 213 Second St. NE, Watford City, N.D. Hosted by Watford City Pheasants Forever chapter. Info: Advisory board member Beau Wisness, Keene, N.D., (701) 675-2067.
• Dec. 5: District 7 (Burleigh, Emmons, Grant, Kidder, McLean, Mercer, Morton, Oliver, Sheridan and Sioux counties), 7 p.m., City Community Hall, 105 Dakota Ave., Wilton, N.D. Hosted by Wilton Pheasants Forever chapter. Info: Advisory board member Dave Nehring, Bismarck, (701) 214-3184.
• Dec. 9: Wreath-making 101, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. (two sessions), Lake Bemidji State Park. Learn how to make an evergreen wreath. Balsam, pine and cedar boughs, wreath forms, wire and red ribbon will be supplied. Materials fee is $8.50, and there's a maximum of 20 people per session. A vehicle permit ($7 daily or $35 annual) also is required to enter the park. Register by Nov. 27 by calling (218) 308-2300.
• Dec. 16: "Break Away from the Holidays" hike, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Turtle River State Park, 3084 Park Ave., Arvilla, N.D. Hikers will depart from the Woodland Lodge at 10 a.m. Leashed pets welcome; vehicle passes required. Info: Turtle River State Park, (701) 594-4445.
• Dec. 18: 22nd annual Itasca State Park Winter Bird Count, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Itasca State Park. Meet between 7:30 and 8 a.m. in the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center Lobby for assignment of count areas. Dress for the weather. Info: (218) 699-7251.
• Dec. 30: Candlelight ski/snowshoe hike, 5 to 8 p.m., Zippel Bay State Park on Lake of the Woods north of Williams, Minn. No cost, but a Minnesota State Parks vehicle permit ($7 daily, $35 annually) is required to enter the park. Info: (218) 647-8592.
• Jan. 12-14: Minnesota Monster Buck Classic, Perham Community Center, 620 Third Ave. SE, Perham, Minn. Show hours 1 to 9 p.m. Jan. 12, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Jan. 13 and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Jan. 14. Info: mnmonsterbuckclassic.com.
• Jan. 13: Winter Festival, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chalet, Turtle River State Park, 3084 Park Ave., Arvilla, N.D. Events on tap include snowball target challenge, sledding challenge, snowman building and more. Info: Turtle River State Park, (701) 594-4445.
• Jan. 5-7: Fifth Annual North American Ice Fishing Circuit North Dakota State Qualifier, Lake Metigoshe near Bottineau, N.D. The tournament is set for 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 7, with weigh-in at 2 p.m. at the Bottineau Armory. Events preceding the tournament include a fishing seminar from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5 in the Bottineau Armory and a Kids' Ice Camp beginning at noon Saturday, Jan. 6 at Lake Metigoshe State Park. Info: Jack Baker, (612) 308-4858 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permit to Carry
• Dec. 16: North Dakota Class I and II Permit to Carry training, noon, Grand Forks Scheels, 2800 S. Columbia Road, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
• Dec. 17: 2 for 1 Minnesota, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela's, 210 DeMers Ave. NW, East Grand Forks. Info: Laura Ramirez, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org