Weather Forecast


Heitkamp, Cramer spar on issues in first debate after Democratic incumbent apologizes for newspaper ad

Man who stabbed two in Grand Forks apartment gets 8 years

A Belcourt, N.D., man who broke into the wrong Grand Forks apartment and stabbed a pregnant woman and her boyfriend was sentenced to serve at least eight years in prison Monday.

Jordan Michael Parisien, 29, pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary in connection to a Sept. 4 knife attack at an apartment complex that left two people injured.

On Monday, Judge John Thelen sentenced Parisien to 20 years in prison with 12 years suspended. He will serve at least eight years behind bars and will be on supervised probation for five years following his release.

Parisien knocked on the door of a second-floor apartment at 4265 Fifth Ave. N. at about 10 a.m., on Sept. 4. A woman he had never met, Amelia Idalski, answered. That’s when she said Parisien lunged at her and stabbed her in the right shoulder, according to court documents. She also received a through-and-and through stab wound to her right hand, according to an affidavit filed by the Grand Forks Police Department.

Her boyfriend, Anthony Gonzalez, had been smoking a cigarette on the balcony when he heard the attack and ran inside to confront Parisien. The two men struggled while Idalski, who was 18 weeks pregnant at the time, escaped. Gonzalez then leapt from their second-floor balcony to the ground, breaking his right arm in several places and requiring surgery, police said.

The two told police they’d never seen Parisien before.

But a neighbor living on the third floor directly above the victims told investigators she had kicked Parisien out of her apartment that morning after he began "acting weird."

Police learned the neighbor, Parisien and another man had gone to breakfast at the Flying J truckstop early that morning and that he had returned to the apartment. She said he left when she asked him to leave.

Parisien was able to flee the scene of the attack before police arrived, but was arrested the next day after another neighbor saw a man climbing a balcony at the apartment complex and entering the unit where his attack took place. The caller said she saw the man wipe the rails and sliding glass door with his shirt sleeves before climbing up and entering the unit of the woman who said she'd gone to breakfast with him the day before.

Two aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges against Parisien were dropped as part of a plea agreement.