Weather Forecast


UND dorm fire caused $35,000 in damages

File photo of Walsh Hall on the University of North Dakota campus. UND photo

A fire in a UND residence hall caused by an unattended candle resulted in $35,000 in damages, says the Grand Forks Fire Department.

The March 2 blaze started in Walsh Hall, a large residence building off Princeton Street. A newly released investigation from the Fire Department found that a candle had ignited a hanging towel that eventually spread the fire to some cardboard.

Residents tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire, which had grown to flames as high as 6 feet, before sprinklers in the room went off and extinguished the blaze.

The fire department used the incident to remind residents not to leave flames unattended.