Weather Forecast


Fire destroys house south of Grand Forks

Flames gut a home about 4 miles south of Grand Forks Tuesday as volunteer firefighters from across the county work to prevent the blaze from spreading on a windy day. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald).1 / 6
Flames completely engulf a home about 4 miles south of Grand Forks Tuesday. Heavy winds forced firefighters to work to prevent the spread of the fire, which destroyed the home. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald)2 / 6
Firefighters from Thompson, Reynolds and Manvel fight to extinguish flames consuming a home about 4 miles south of Grand Forks Tuesday. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald)3 / 6
Flames destroyed a rural home south of Grand Forks. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald)4 / 6
Firefighters used drop tanks, shown here in yellow, to store water as they fought a house fire south of Grand Forks Tuesday. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald)5 / 6
Fire rages through the window of a home south of Grand Forks Tuesday at about noon. The fire completely destroyed the home, but no one was injured in the blaze. (Andrew Hazzard/Grand Forks Herald)6 / 6

Firefighters responded a blaze at a rural home Tuesday morning that largely destroyed the  residence about 4 miles south of Grand Forks.

The two-story house in the 1000 block of 10th Avenue Northeast was engulfed in flames driven by high winds as fire crews responded to the call about 10:30 a.m.

It is unclear if anyone was in the home at the time of the fire, but no injuries were reported.

Volunteer firefighters from departments in Thompson, Manvel and Reynolds worked to extinguish the fire and prevent the flames from spreading.

By about 12:30 p.m., the house had collapsed.

Manvel Fire Chief Steven Schumer said six of his firefighters responded to the scene. At least five 3,000-gallon tankers were used to fight the flames. The water was brought onto the property in tankers and deposited into “drop tanks,” a large tarp stabilized by metal poles that can hold up to 11,000 gallons of water at once, to keep a steady stream on the fire.

The homeowner was present Tuesday and did not wish to speak with media.

The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.