Dakota Access Pipeline developer says offer to help with law enforcement costs is still on the table
BISMARCK — A spokeswoman for the company that built the Dakota Access Pipeline said Thursday, July 13, its offer to help the state of North Dakota with law enforcement costs associated with the pipeline protests is still on the table.
Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners has "made an offer to help the state with these costs as we know it placed a great burden on the state," said spokeswoman Vicki Granado, who added that they "are thankful to law enforcement for ensuring the safety of our employees, our assets and those who live and work in the area."
State officials are exploring their options to recover costs for responding the monthslong protests after Gov. Doug Burgum's request for a presidential disaster declaration was denied in May. That state applied for almost $14 million through a federal program, but total costs are currently pegged at $38 million between the state and Morton County.
"As the governor has said all along, everything is on the table," Burgum's spokesman Mike Nowatzki said when asked whether the governor is open to ETP's offer.
ETP CEO Kelcy Warren told the Associated Press last year that he made a verbal offer to then-Gov. Jack Dalrymple, but the former governor's spokesman said he didn't remember him doing so. The spokesman, Jeff Zent, also said at the time that he wasn't sure whether there's a legal mechanism for the company to reimburse the state.