Helping hands: Quilt Bingo ... Hunger Action Month ... Amazing Race for CourageCharity and fundraisers from around the area.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
• Quilt Bingo: The second annual Quilt Bingo will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at St. John’s Catholic Church, 1515 Western Ave., Grafton, N.D. Tickets are $20 and available at Embroidery Plus and area businesses. Winners will receive a handmade quilt. Proceeds will benefit Altru’s Hospice Camp Good Mourning. Info: (701) 780-5603.
• Hunger Action Month: Great Lakes Airlines will hold its fifth annual Flyin’ 4 Food campaign through September to benefit Dakota Prairie Community Action Agency in Devils Lake. Bring any nonperishable food item to the Great Lakes counter at the Devils Lake airport 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and enter to win one of four round-trip tickets to Minneapolis. Only one entry per person per week is permitted, but donations are always accepted. Info: (307) 432-7000.
• Amazing Race for Courage: Organizers of the Amazing Race for Courage Grand Forks are seeking donations from local businesses for the 10 a.m. Oct. 12 event at University Park. The race benefits the Red River Child Advocacy Center, which helps abused children. Info: George Jirout, Phi Alpha and Student Social Work Organization at UND, (701) 317-0752.
• Arthritis Walk: The Arthritis Foundation Upper Midwest Region will hold an Arthritis Walk Oct. 12. Registration is at 8:30 a.m., followed by the honoree story by KayleighAnn, who was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at age 7. The race itself starts with the Kids’ Monster Dash ½ Mile at 9:20 a.m. and the Walk and Zombie 5K Fun Run at 9:30 a.m. Register at awgrandforks.kintera.org. Info: Kelly, (701) 388-1988.
• Tax volunteers: AARP is looking for new volunteers to help in the Tax-Aide program for low-income seniors. Tax preparation experience is not needed, just proficient computer skills and a desire to meet and help others. Volunteers must be available at least three hours a week from Feb. 1 to April 15, although schedules are flexible. More info: Doreen (866) 554-5383 or www.aarp.org/taxaide.
• Senior Companions: Lutheran Social Services is looking for healthy and active volunteers 55 and older to be Senior Companions. The service provides companionship, social recreation and assistance to seniors who live independently. Volunteers are paid a tax-free hourly stipend. Info: Andrea Lang, (800) 450-1510.
• Mission of Hope Banquet: Northlands Rescue Mission will hold a banquet and silent auction to raise funds starting at 5 p.m. Nov. 7 at the Alerus Center. Award-winning solo artist and bassist Grand Norsworthy will be the featured speaker. Tickets are $30 each, $35 after Oct. 21. Info: (701) 772-6600, ext. 220.