Wheelage tax impactA $10 wheelage tax is expected to fetch northwest Minnesota counties thousands of dollars for road repairs if the counties choose to levy the tax.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
A $10 wheelage tax is expected to fetch northwest Minnesota counties thousands of dollars for road repairs if the counties choose to levy the tax.
Here’s how it would affect each county, according to the Association of Minnesota Counties. Not all the counties have decided to start a wheelage tax; they have until Aug. 1 to notify the state if they do so.
• Kittson County: 5,500 estimated vehicles subject to taxation; $55,000 estimated revenue.
• Marshall County: 11,500 vehicles; $115,000.
• Norman County: 7,600 vehicles; $76,000.
• Pennington County: 13,700 vehicles; $137,000.
• Polk County: 30,400 vehicles; $304,000.
• Red Lake County: 4,800 vehicles; $48,000.
• Roseau County: 17,200 vehicles; $172,000.
Vehicles subject to the tax are based on the address listed for the statement for the state vehicle tax, but owners can notify the state if the vehicle is kept outside the county, say at a lake cabin.
Motorcycles, mopeds, trailers, semitrailers, vehicles that aren’t subject to registration, such as collector vehicles and state vehicles are exempt from the wheelage tax.
— Herald staff report