Sleep tips:To get the best sleep possible, follow these recommendations
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
To get the best sleep possible, follow these recommendations:
• Keep a regular sleep schedule throughout the week (go to bed and get up at same times every day).
• Avoid napping (but if you must, keep it to no more than 30 to 45 minutes to avoid entering deeper stages of sleep).
• Make sure your environment is conducive to sleeping (quiet, cool, dark; right pillow and bed).
• Stay away from stimulants late in the day (caffeine’s effect can last as long as 12 hours, nicotine’s as long as six hours).
• Eat dinner 2 to 3 hours before bedtime (body raises its core temperature to digest food, making it difficult to sleep well).
• No alcohol near bedtime (alcohol can help you get to sleep faster but it fragments your sleep as it metabolizes; it also can influence respiration, causing bad snoring or lapses in breathing which reduces sleep quality).
• Exercise regularly (just make sure to complete it a few hours before bedtime).
• Keep a journal or notepad next to your bed (writing down thoughts that keep your brain spinning can help you relax).
• Establish a relaxing routine before bedtime (avoid media sources (TV, Internet, action flick) that fire you up before bedtime; never watch TV in bed, instead do something that relaxes you, like reading a book or taking a warm bath).
Source: Sleep to Live Institute
l. Home health aide
3. Police officers
6. Social workers
7. Computer programmers
8. Financial analysts
9. Plant operators
1. Forest and logging workers
3. Sales representatives
5. Construction workers
9. Aircraft pilots