Dalrymple federal emergency declaration, approves more funding to combat Fargo floodingGov. Jack Dalrymple is requesting an emergency declaration from President Barack Obama as weather conditions show strong potential for severe spring flooding around North Dakota, according to a news release.
By: TJ Jerke, Forum News Service
BISMARCK -- Gov. Jack Dalrymple is requesting an emergency declaration from President Barack Obama as weather conditions show strong potential for severe spring flooding around North Dakota, according to a news release.
The request comes hours after Dalrymple and the state’s Emergency Commission approved an additional $775,000 in spending authority for the state’s National Guard to help combat flooding along the Red River in Cass and Richland counties.
“Current conditions and forecasts clearly show there is significant potential for severe flooding that could exceed local response capabilities,” Dalrymple said in a release issued Tuesday night. “This request for an emergency declaration is an important step in providing the resources needed to protect people and property from major flood events.”
The governor’s request includes Barnes, Benson, Bottineau, Cass, Grand Forks, McHenry, Nelson, Pembina, Ramsey, Ransom, Richland, Towner, Traill and Walsh counties, as well as the Spirit Lake Reservation.
If approved, the presidential declaration would make federal resources and financial assistance available to help local and tribal jurisdictions recover costs associated with severe flooding. North Dakota would be eligible for federal funding to cover 75 percent of all eligible costs for flood protection measures incurred by communities and counties, the release said.
Dalrymple issued a state emergency declaration March 29 for counties and Tribal Nations that face a 50 percent chance of reaching or exceeding moderate flood stage
The governor’s declaration activated the State Emergency Operations Plan which requires that state officials and agencies and the North Dakota National Guard prepare to provide timely flood response services.
Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, head of the state National Guard, said Tuesday morning he has spent $30,000 so far for flood prevention work and will need more National Guard employees and other assistance as the river rises. He expects to spend about $750,000.
So Sprynczynatyk requested $775,000 in spending authority Tuesday morning, on top of $60,000 that was approved April 2, from the state’s Emergency Commission to combat the high waters.
He told the commission he will likely be back one more time to ask for about $20 million to cover what he thinks will be needed to makeup the state’s share of the flood recovery efforts.
So far, 68 National Guard members have been deployed to the Fargo area for flood relief efforts and 10 more will be deployed today.