Herald staff picks: 5 things I love right now“The Very Best of Travis Tritt”... apple pecan chicken salad... “Justified”... flameless candles... “Silken Prey.”
1. “The Very Best of Travis Tritt”: TT sings real country-hurtin’, lyin’ and cheatin’ — songs. And he knows how to work a mullet. It’s tough to pick a favorite single from this 2007 release, but “Here’s a Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares” is definitely in my top three.
2. Crunchy food: It’s March, time for something good, green and crunchy. Nothing beats a Wendy’s apple pecan chicken salad with pomegranate vinaigrette dressing. Total calories: 529. Carbs: 43 grams.
3. Must-see TV: “Justified” (FX), set in the hills of Kentucky, stars Timothy Oliphant as U.S. Marshall Raylan Givens and Walton Goggins as his bad boy frenemy Boyd Crowder. A recent episode had murderous hillbilly Cope explaining to Raylan why the gun he’d just wrestled from Cope’s cousin Daniel wouldn’t do him much good. It went something like this: “A rock fell on Daniel’s head when he was a kid, and he ain’t been right since,” Cope said. “I don’t hold it against him, but there’s no way I’d ever give him a gun that works.” After “Justified,” stay tuned for “Southland” on TNT.
4. Scentsy products: These flameless candles make your house smell so good. Plus, there’s no flame, dripping wax to clean up or smoke stains on the wall. My current favorite scents: Cozy Fireside and Luna.
5. John Sanford: I can’t wait for “Silken Prey,” the 23rd book in John Sanford’s “Prey” series about Minneapolis cop Lucas Davenport. Release date is May 7. It promises murder, scandal, political espionage and “an extremely dangerous woman.” I hope this doesn’t mean that Davenport’s surgeon wife, Dr. Weather Karkinnen, has finally had enough of his macho exploits.