10 Questions to ask your family about health history10 Questions to ask your family about health history
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
• What traits seem to run in our family?
(You don’t have to ask only about health — start with anything from your family’s blue eyes or curly hair to your height and personality — just to get your family talking.)
• Did our family members have any health problems?
• How old were our family members when their health problem started or were diagnosed?
• How old were our family members when they died?
(If you don’t know exact dates, ask about the approximate age at death.)
• What were the reasons they died?
(Note if the cause of death was unknown.)
• Were there any pregnancy losses or babies born with birth defects?
• Where were our family members born?
(Ethnicity can be a risk factor for some health problems.)
• Did any of our family members smoke? If yes, how much and for how long?
• What other lifestyle habits did our family members have?
(For example: Did they exercise regularly? Were any overweight or extremely thin? Did any have addictive behaviors?)
• What types of allergies did our family members have?
(For example: hay fever, food or medication allergies)