Serving sizes for the DASH diet planServing sizes according to the National Institutes of Health, to be DASH-compliant.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
According to the National Institutes of Health, to be DASH-compliant:
• a serving of grains is a slice of bread or about ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal.
• One serving of dairy equals 1 cup milk or yogurt or 1½ ounces cheese.
• One ounce of cooked meat, poultry or fish is one serving, as is one whole egg.
• A serving of nuts, seeds and legumes is Zc cup or 1½ ounces nuts, 2 tablespoons peanut butter or seeds or ½ cup cooked legumes like beans and peas.
• Fats and oils should be limited to 1 teaspoon butter or oil, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons salad dressing.
• One serving of sweets and sugars is 1 tablespoon sugar, jelly, jam and ½ cup sorbet.)