Tips for cooking and using kale
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
Here are a few tips for cooking and using kale:
• When you’re beginning to prepare the kale for cooking, cut out the center stalks in the middle and discard the pieces. Tear the kale into small pieces to make it easier to work with.
• To saute kale, in a frying pan over low heat, add in some olive oil and a few pieces of chopped garlic. As that is cooking, toss in the small bits of kale. Add in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil and then season with your favorite herbs and spices. You can also add in a little dry red wine. Cook until the kale is a bright green color.
• To boil kale, fill a pot with ½ cup of water and ½ cup of vinegar. Add the kale and bring the water to a boil. Drain and remove from the heat. Place in a bowl and, add some of your favorite spices.
• Kale is especially good in the cooler months when it’s at its freshest. It is a perfect side dish to go with roast chicken or prime rib.
• Puree kale into an egg dish like scrambled eggs, mini egg casseroles, quiche or egg souffle.
• Kale adds a fresh flavor (and color) to any juice.
• Braise chopped kale and apples. Before serving, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and chopped walnuts.
• Combine chopped kale, pine nuts and feta cheese with whole grain pasta drizzled with olive oil.