Tips for a better burger
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
Here are a few tips for better grilled burgers:
• Be sure your ground meat is fresh. It should be bright pink without any unpleasant odor or dark spots.
• Do not over mix ground meat because it becomes tough with handling.
• Grill ground beef burgers over high heat to sear the outsides and seal in their juices.
• When using extra-lean meats for burgers, add moist ingredients for juiciness, extra seasonings for flavor, and grill them more slowly over medium heat.
• Use a spatula or tongs when turning burgers to help retain their shape.
• Avoid pressing down on the burgers while they’re grilling; this squeezes out the juices and makes them dry and tough.
• Never cook burgers to the point of dryness, but be certain they are fully cooked. The meat should show no signs of pinkness inside, the juices should run clear, and the temperature should register 160 degree in the center.