Grand Cities Art Fest takes place this weekendThe Altru Health System Grand Cities Art Fest is a two-day event in downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks that features original works by 160 artists and artisans, live entertainment on two stages, artist demonstrations, children’s activities and two food courts.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
If you go
• What: The Altru Health System Grand Cities Art Fest is a two-day event in downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks that features original works by 160 artists and artisans, live entertainment on two stages, artist demonstrations, children’s activities and two food courts.
• When and where: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks on both sides of the Red River.
• Arts in Action: Visitors can see how artists turn raw materials into beautiful works of original artwork, including drawings, ceramics, soaps, baskets and more.
• ArtWise Kids Korner: Children can make art for free. Kids also can enjoy inflatable games and play water games in the Cabela’s parking lot with East Grand Forks firefighters.
• Concessions: Lots of creative foods and fair food favorites will be available.
• Featured artist: Andy Van Schyndle of Green Bay, Wis., who uses oil paints on canvas and wood and a technique called glazing to complete his paintings. Info: Wagalabagala.com/
Best of Category
• Two hundred artists applied to be part of Grand Cities Art Fest; about 160 were chosen to participate and 12 were named Best in Category. At 1 p.m. Sunday, one of the Best in Category artists will be announced as Best in Show (along with two runners-up) and will be be featured artist at the 2013 Art Fest. The winners also will receive cash prizes. Best of Category artists are: Ceramics, D. Bennett Pottery; mixed media, Ragged Edge Art Studio; drawing/painting, Ron Boehm Abstracts; naturals, Bridgecreek Angler Carving; found objects, Sonnek Metal Art; photography, Darren Olson Photography; glass, DL Fenn; printmaking, Cody Bartz; jewelry, L’Ochsners; textiles, Lucy’s Dining Décor; metal, Gull Island Craftsmen; and wood, Art Kraft Wood Products, Inc.
• Mariah Masilko, a painter from South St. Paul, and Miranda Roen, a photographer from Grand Forks, were selected by North Valley Arts Council for its emerging artists program. They were placed with mentors to learn how to market their work at art fairs and will exhibit free of charge at the Grand Cities Art Fest.
• Xcel Energy and the North Valley Arts Council will honor eco-conscious artists and artisans as Xcel Energy Green Artists. You’ll be able to see the green artist in action at the Art Fest.
Here’s who’s performing on the Excel Energy Stage in Grand Forks Town Square.
• 10 a.m.: Downtown Horns
• 11 a.m.: Polish National Alliance Dancers
• Noon and 1 p.m.: Go Steve Jones, rock versions of your favorite songs
• 2 p.m.: 12 Houses Middle Eastern dance
• 3 p.m.: Grand Cities Children’s Choir
• 4 p.m.: Little Missouri native flutes
• 5 p.m.: Remember When guitar covers
• 10 a.m.: Remember When
• 11 a.m.: Salsa del Norte
• Noon: Little Missouri native flutes
• 1 p.m.: Art Fest awards/Sneaky Wild Oats
• 2 p.m. Oasis Dancers Middle Eastern dance
• 3 p.m.: Popejoy/Strand Jazz Duo
Here’s who’s performing on the HB Sound & Light Stage in Cabela’s parking lot in East Grand Forks.
• 10 a.m.: Thomas Anderson, acoustic guitar
• 11 a.m.: Don Croeker, singer/songwriter
• Noon: Leslie Jane, guitar and vocals
• 1 p.m.: Dowtown Horns
• 2 p.m.: O’Neil Family Band, folk and bluegrass
• 3 p.m.: Go Steve Jones, rock versions of favorite songs
• 4 p.m.: Downtown Horns
• 5 p.m.: Popejoy/Strand Jazz Duo
• 10 a.m., Leslie Jane
• 11 a.m.: Ron Franz, guitar and vocals
• Noon and 1 p.m.: Go Steve Jones
• 2 p.m.: Carl Unbehaun
• 3 p.m.: Salsa del Norte
Art Fest guide
• For a copy of the guide to booths and vendors: Download it at www.novac.org/, or pick one up at most downtown businesses
Art Fest sponsors
• Main sponsor: Altru Health System
• Also: Alerus Financial, ArtWise, Cabela’s, City of East Grand Forks, City of Grand Forks, Clear Channel Communications, Excel Energy Foundation, Grand Forks Park District, Greater Grand Forks Convention & Visitors Bureau, HB Sound & Light, Hugo’s, Leighton Broadcasting, Myra Foundation, North Dakota Tourism Division, North Valley Arts Council, Pepsi, RSVP+, Vaaler Insurance,