New fun and adventure await Medora’s summer visitorsVisitors to Medora, N.D., this summer will find new activities and attractions, ranging from kids’ activities and entertainment to shopping and history, in addition to the return of the Medora musical opening June 8.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
Visitors to Medora, N.D., this summer will find new activities and attractions, ranging from kids’ activities and entertainment to shopping and history, in addition to the return of the Medora musical opening June 8.
All ages can have the thrill of bungee jumping or rock climbing at the new Family Fun Center. Historians have more opportunities to delve into the past, and shoppers can bring home American-made and North Dakota-product souvenirs, said Randy Hatzenbuhler, president of the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation, in a news release.
• New Family Fun Center & re-opened Badlands Shooting Gallery: The center features the world’s largest inflatable slide, a bungee jump and rock climbing wall. And back by popular demand is the Badlands Shooting Gallery, around the corner from the Old Town Hall Theater.
• Medora Musical: The Burning Hills Singers and Coal diggers band will perform nightly from June 8 through Sept. 8. Tickets to the Medora Musical can be purchased by calling (800) MEDORA-1 or online at www.medora.com.
• Medora Musical variety acts: The variety acts will perform during the run of the musical. Breaksk8, a hip hop roller skating dancing crew featured on NBC’s hit show “America’s Got Talent,” will perform June 8-30; comedian George Casey will be on stage July 1-28; character comedian Etta May, featured on CMT’s Comedy Stage, will be July 29-18; and illusionist Sammy Cortino will perform Aug. 19-Sept. 8.
• Opening of the historic Von Hoffman house: As part of the Foundation’s historic preservation and restoration, the Von Hoffmann house (formerly the Medora doll house) has been restored and now features a collection of original furniture and period furnishings. Here, visitors can learn about two of Medora’s well-known families and enjoy the gallery of the Ferris family’s correspondence with their friend Theodore Roosevelt.
• Made in the U.S.A Mercantile: A new shop provides souvenir gifts made entirely in the U.S. including “Pride of Dakota” items from North Dakota.
• A Teddy Roosevelt Salute to Medora: Learn about Theodore Roosevelt as president, husband, father, soldier and hunter. Much of this new show focuses on Roosevelt’s time in the North Dakota Badlands. Roosevelt is portrayed by Joe Wiegand, who has performed this role nationally, including a White House appearance in celebration of Roosevelt’s 150th birthday.
For more information about Medora, visit: www.medora.com. For more information about Theodore Roosevelt National Park: www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm