Crookston hosts women’s health fest WednesdayRiverView Health in Crookston will host its fifth annual Women’s Fest from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Wednesday in the RiverView Heritage Hallway in recognition of National Women’s Health Week.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
RiverView Health in Crookston will host its fifth annual Women’s Fest from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Wednesday in the RiverView Heritage Hallway in recognition of National Women’s Health Week.
Women’s Health Week encourages women to take steps to improve their physical and mental health and lower their risks of certain diseases, a news release said. The event in Crookston will sponsor programs about stress, bone health and more.
- Stress relief: RiverView family nurse practitioner will present tips on natural stress relief and focus on the importance of health screenings for women from 3:45 to 4:30 p.m.
- Bone health: Betsy Hemler, a certified nurse midwife who works at RiverView Health in Crookston and East Grand Forks, is currently focusing on bone health. Her presentations will be at 4:30 and 5:15 p.m.
“Bone health is important because as the baby boomers are getting older, so are their bones,” Hemler said. “Healthy living and prevention of fractures is important for everyone and especially for people with risk factors for osteoporosis.”
About 10 million people in the U.S. have osteoporosis and another 34 million have low bone mass, Hemeler said. People with osteoporosis are more likely to have fractures, especially of the spine, hip or wrist. Patients with low bone mass need to be identified early so treatment can be started as needed.
- Face and hands: Patti Lien, owner of Crookston Rejuv Salon and Spa, will give free hand massages and Rejuv’s skin care specialist, Jane Gruhot, will offer face mapping. Face mapping allows the therapist to analyze the facial landscape inch-by-inch so professional treatment and home-care prescriptons will fully address the client’s concerns.
- Sleep: RiverView acupuncturist Megan Scott will give tips on getting a better night’s sleep, and will have a sound sleep acupressure guide available.
- Free blood pressure and blood sugar checks will be conducted. There will be food and door prizes.
- My New View: Women’s Fest is an annual event for RiverView Health’s My New View, a free women’s membership program. Women who aren’t currently members of My New View can enroll at Women’s Fest.
Women completing a My New View membership application, online or on paper, are asked to share basic information such as name and address, as well as a brief inventory of health interests and concerns. This information is used by RiverView Health to identify needs for health information and education, as well as medical resource development for women.