‘The Things They Carried’ is the thing we’re looking forThe Big Read, a month of activities and events to encourage reading focused on “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien, has begun book hunts with clues posted about where participants can find copies of the acclaimed book.
The Big Read, a month of activities and events to encourage reading focused on “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien, has begun book hunts with clues posted about where participants can find copies of the acclaimed book.
The Big Read — Oct. 14 to Nov. 14 — will feature nearly 30 events exploring ideas and issues addressed in “The Things They Carried.” Everyone is encouraged to read the book and take part. If you find a copy of “The Things They Carried” during the book hunt, it’s yours.
Two books already have been hidden and found. Here’s how book hunt works, according to organizer Carmyn Juntunen:
Periodically, The Big Read book hunt will release copies of “The Things They Carried” into the wild. Clues to the location of the books will be given on the day the books are hidden. Book hunters can find clues posted on the Greater Grand Forks Big Read Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GGF
BigRead) and at the Grand Forks Public Library.
If you find one of the O’Brien books, let organizers know. The books will be wrapped in plastic and there will be information tucked inside about how to report you’ve found the book.
The first hidden book was found at the labyrinth on the Greenway in downtown Grand Forks. For that hunt, there was a word clue: “Greenway. Don’t get lost. Meditate here.”
The second book was discovered by the bra sculpture in front of ARTSplace. For that book, organizers posted an image clue — a close-up photo of part of the bra sculpture.
Here’s the schedule (so far) for The Big Read. All events are free and open to the public.
- Oct. 14: Great Conversation with Tim O’Brien, author of “The Things They Carried.” 7 p.m., UND Chester Fritz Auditorium. Sponsored by the UND President’s Office.
- Oct. 15: Discussion with Robin David at Northern Great Plains History Conference, 2 p.m., Clarion Inn.
- Oct. 16: Orienteering and Outdoor Safety, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Turtle River State Park, Aneta, N.D.
- Oct. 16: Kids’ Big Read Book Talk on “Crow Call” by Lois Lowry, 2 p.m., Grand Forks Public Library.
- Oct. 17: Book Discussion, Chapter 1, 7 p.m., Ferguson Books & Media.
- Oct. 19: Book Discussion, 7 p.m., Grand Forks Public Library.
- Oct. 20: Vietnam Night at the Culinary Corner, 6 p.m., UND Wellness Center.
- Oct. 23: Reception for exhibit of Vietnam-era artifacts. Try on an actual Army backpack, 7 p.m., Myra Museum.
- Oct. 26: Book Discussion, 7 p.m., Stanford Centre.
- Oct. 27: “A Soldier’s Letter Home,” performed by North Dakota Ballet Company, 7 p.m., East Grand Forks Senior High School.
- Oct. 28: Book Discussion, 7 p.m. Grand Forks Air Forks Base library. Base community only.
- Oct. 29: Conversation with Lois Lowry, author of “Crow Call,” featured book in Kids’ Big Read, 7 p.m., Empire Arts Center.
- Nov. 1: Panel discussion on “The Things They Carried,” 3 p.m., Northland Community and Technical College, East Grand Forks.
- Nov. 2: Book discussion, 6:30 p.m., UND Bookstore.
- Nov. 3: “Full Metal Jacket,” Art & Democracy Film Series, 7 p.m., Empire Arts Center.
- Nov. 4: “Telling Your Story,” Family/oral history workshop, 7 p.m., UND Chester Fritz Library East Asian Room, fourth floor.
- Nov. 6: “Telling Your Story,” Family/oral history workshop, 7 p.m., Grand Forks Air Force Base Library. Base community only.
- Nov. 6: Kids’ Big Read “Writing Letters to Soldiers,” 2 p.m., Grand Forks Public Library.
- Nov. 7: Advanced Book discussion with Professor Liz Harris, 2 p.m., UND Bookstore.
- Nov. 9: Book discussion, 11:30 a.m., East Grand Forks Campbell Library.
- Nov. 10: Kiowa’s War: Indians in the Armed Services, panel discussion, 4 p.m., UND Memorial Union, River Valley Room.
- Nov. 12: Book discussion, 7 p.m., Edna Ralston Public Library, Larimore, N.D.
- Nov. 13: ’60s Trivia with Barry Brandvold, ’60s dance music to follow, 5:30 p.m., 8 to 9:30 p.m., El Roco Bar & Grill.
- Nov. 14: Big Read Closing Celebration, featuring Book Club Bazaar & Book Discussion, 2 p.m., Rydell’s Auto Center.
The Big Read is an initiative of the National Endowment for the Arts and sponsored locally by Grand Forks Public Library and other organizations and businesses.
Go to www.facebook.com/GGF
BigRead for book hunt clues and for information on Big Read events. Another source of info: www.neabigread.org.
Copies of “The Things They Carried” are available throughout The Big Read while supplies last. Contact the Grand Forks Public Library.
Reach Tobin at (701) 780-1134; (800) 477-6572, ext. 134; or send e-mail to email@example.com.