Officials warn of seasonal carbon monoxide dangerHealth officials in Minnesota are recommending that residents have their central heating systems checked before using them this fall.
By: Associated Press,
MINNEAPOLIS — Health officials in Minnesota are recommending that residents have their central heating systems checked before using them this fall.
It's part of an effort by the Minnesota Poison Control System and the Minnesota Safety Council to reduce dangerous exposures to carbon monoxide.
The odorless, colorless gas can leak from faulty furnaces, water heaters or gas stoves. It can be trapped by a blocked chimney or flue and back up inside a house.
Because the gas restricts the delivery of oxygen throughout the body, at low levels it can cause flu-like symptoms. It higher levels it can cause confusion, brain damage, coma and death.
In addition to getting the furnace checked, health officials recommend that everyone have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home.
On the Net:
Minnesota Poison Control System: http://www.mnpoison.org
Minnesota Safety Council: http://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.org