Something for everyone: Super Science Day, Harlem Globetrotters and Record Store Day among weekend's events
Do you know a kid who's into the STEM subjects? If so, the Dakota Science Center is hosting the perfect family-friendly event this weekend.
The annual Super Science Day event, featuring hands-on science, technology, engineering and math activities for families with kids in first through sixth grades, is happening from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday in Purpur Arena, 1122 Seventh Ave. S., in Grand Forks.
The DSC works with Grand Forks Public Schools and the Grand Forks Park District to bring in university faculty, graduate students, government agencies and other experts to run the activities and informational exhibits.
Admission is free, and attendees are encouraged to bring in unwanted inkjet cartridges, laser cartridges, laptops, cellphones, iPods, digital cameras, DVDs, calculators and GPS units to recycle. The DSC participates in the Cartridges for Kids program, which raises money for hands-on science activities in the community.
• What: Super Science Day.
• When: 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Purpur Arena.
• Cost: Free.
• Info: dakota-science.org.
The Harlem Globetrotters, now on the road for their 90th tour, are making a stop Saturday afternoon in Grand Forks. The Alerus Center event is scheduled for 2 p.m.
• What: Harlem Globetrotters.
• When: 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Where: Alerus Center, 1200 42nd Street S.
• Cost: Ticket prices range from $24 to $80; group rates are available.
• Info: harlemglobetrotters.com.
RRVM Motorcycle Show
The Red River Valley Motorcyclists' annual Motorcycle Show is going on this weekend at the Alerus Center, too. A variety of makes and models of motorcycles will be on display.
• What: Red River Valley Motorcyclists' Motorcycle Show.
• When: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Alerus Center.
• Cost: $5; children 10 and younger are admitted free with a paying adult.
• Info: rrvmnd.org.
Record Store Day
On the eve of Super Science Day, there's Record Store Day. Ojata Records will celebrate with a lineup that includes the Deluxe DogMahal Devo-Dog Buffet, a screening of the rockumentary "Unknown Passage," a concert featuring local and regional bands and other RSD specials.
• What: Record Store Day.
• When: Starting at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• Where: Ojata Records, 1300 University Ave.
• Cost: Concert cover charge is $5.
• Info: Find the event on Facebook.
Fairy Gardening class
Are you interested in adding some unique touches to your garden this spring? Sign up for Saturday's Fairy Gardening class at All Seasons Garden Center by calling (701) 746-7777.
• What: Fairy Gardening class.
• When: 10 a.m. Saturday.
• Where: All Seasons Garden Center, 5101 S. Washington Street.
• Cost: $10.
• Info: (701) 746-7777.