Thief River Falls sees competition in city races
Mayors in many northwest Minnesota cities are expected to breeze through the November election without challenges from fellow residents.
That’s not the case in Thief River Falls, where Mayor Jim Dagg will face competition from two challengers in his bid for re-election. Brian Holmer and Lonnie Lee Mott filed petitions by Tuesday’s deadline.
Meanwhile Thief River Falls City Council incumbents also are being challenged.
In the Ward 1 council race, candidates are incumbent Glen Kajewski and challenger Curtis Howe.
In Ward 3, incumbent Edwin Dale Hahn will face off with Josh Hagen, Paul Mooney and Brandon Tougas.
In Ward 5, incumbent Rachel Prudhomme will square off against Jennifer Myers and Kevin Brown.
William Hess and Steven Narverud filed for one councilman at-large seat. Incumbent Elvera Cullen did not seek re-election.
- City of Hallock: For City Council, four candidates are seeking three seats. The candidates are incumbents Michael Totleben; Kevin Waller; Jennifer Peterson, who was appointed to the council but is seeking election; and newcomer Ryan Anderson. One of the seats had been held by Alex Gustafson, who recently moved out of town.
- City of Karlstad: Mayor Nick Amb is unopposed for re-election. Incumbent City Council members George O. Hultgren and Pete Kautzman will face off against Peter C. Knapp and Connie Nordin for two council seats.
- City of Red Lake Falls: Mayor Kevin Harmoning is unopposed for re-election. Ward 1 incumbent Council member Joyce Kalbakdalen is being challenged by Kevin Brevik. Sara Kenfield, who is serving an unexpired term, is seeking the at-large council seat. She is unopposed.
- City of Roseau: Mayor Jeff Pelowski and Councilman Curt Ireland are unopposed. Amy Bassingthwaite is the lone candidate to fill the other council seat. Incumbent Linda Vatnsdal did not seek re-election.
- City of Stephen: Richard Lee is seeking the mayor position. Current Mayor David Clark did not seek re-election. For City Council, incumbents Patsy Haggen and Brett Kuznia will face a challenge from Leonard Bazey.
- City of Warren: Mayor Deb Myrfield is unopposed for re-election. For City Council, Ward 1 incumbents Cam Fanfulik and John Golden are unopposed. Chris Deroiser is the lone candidate for the other Ward 1 seat. No one filed for an open seat in Ward 2.
- City of Warroad: Mayor Bob Marvin is unopposed for re-election. He has been mayor since 1995. For City Council, incumbents Jeff Parker and Kevin Thompson are unopposed.