State parks gift cards available for holiday gifts
If you're on the hunt for a last-minute Christmas gift, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources suggests a state parks gift card.
To personalize the gift, the DNR's Parks and Trails Division offers 10 ways to connect someone to the outdoors in 2014:
• Browse the online calendar at mndnr.gov or the new programs and special events brochure to find a winter program, such as a digital photography workshop or a snowshoe hike.
• Pick a First Day Hike to take part in on New Year's Day and resolve to get outdoors more in 2014.
• Experience the outdoors in a whole new light at one of this year's candlelight ski, snowshoe or hike events.
• Make reservations at a camper cabin and explore a new state park.
• Join the Hiking Club and arrange a time to hike a nearby trail together.
• Offer to rent a canoe or kayak and go paddling together this summer or fall.
• Go on a treasure hunt to find one of the geocaches hidden at Minnesota state parks as part of the Avian Adventure.
• Sign up for an overnight I Can Camp! program and master camping skills.
• Attend other skill-building programs, such as I Can Paddle! I Can Climb! I Can Fish! or Archery in the Parks.
• Take advantage of the free fishing equipment for loan at many state parks and wet a line together from a fishing pier.
Gift cards are available at any park office that sells merchandise or online at mndnr.gov/reservations.