Rural Grand Forks home destroyed in fire
Firefighters responded to a house fire west of Grand Forks early Monday evening that probably started in a fireplace.
The home was next to its owner’s business, Magoo’s Tattoos at 2010 20th St. N.E.
No one was home at the time of the fire, about 6:40 p.m., said Deputy Kelly McLean, of the Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Office. There were no injuries.
Responders were able to get some property out of the house, and several of the owners’ dogs escaped safely, McLean said.
“They couldn’t find two puppies, but they said they thought they saw them running out,” he said.
Emerado, Manvel and Thompson fire departments responded and were still on scene at about 8:30 p.m., McLean said.
The house was in engulfed in flames and the fire spread rapidly. At one point, there was some ammunition exploding in the building, so firefighters stepped back until it was safe to continue putting out the fire, McLean said.
The fire is believed to have started in the fireplace, but the investigation is ongoing.
“I don’t want to say it’s a total loss,” McLean said, but there was heavy damage to the home.
Kevin Boyer Sr. and Maureen Boyer, who own Magoo’s Tattoos next door, lived in the home with their dogs, McLean said.
Altru Ambulance also responded to the scene.