A return to subzero temps in Grand Forks
Buddle up if you're going outside this week because it's going to be a cold one, according to the National Weather Service's Grand Forks office.
A blast of arctic air is moving through the region, bringing low temperatures with it. But don't worry -- the cold won't last long.
"Once the air passes over the area, temperatures will warm up again by the weekend," said Brad Hopkins, a meteorologist at the Grand Forks office.
Temperatures are expected to climb back into the 20s by Sunday. In the meantime, the weather service has forecast high temperatures in the single digits.
Area wind-chill readings are expected to dip to 25 below zero in the Grand Forks area and 35 below near the Canadian border this week.
"When temperatures are low it doesn't take much wind to drive them down," Hopkins said.
The area can also expect to see some snow coming its way this week. Small accumulations are predicted for tonight accompanied by slight chances for snow on Thursday and Friday.
This winter's snowfall remains below average for Grand Forks, Hopkins said.
The average high temperature for January has been normal so far but he said this could change as the month wears on. "We'll see how everything plays out in the end," he said. "The cold blasts and warm temperatures usually balance everything out."
Below is the National Weather Service extended forecast for Grand Forks:
• Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 1. Wind chill values as low as 24 below zero. North northwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming south.
• Tuesday night: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy with a low around 5 below zero. Wind chill values as low as 22 below zero. Southeast wind between 5 and 13 mph.
• Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a high near 1 below zero. Light wind becoming north northwest between 12 and 15 mph. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
• Wednesday Night: Mostly clear with a low around 13 below zero.
• Thursday: Mostly sunny with a high near 1 below zero.
• Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a low around 8 below zero.
• Friday: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a high near 10.
• Friday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a low around 0.
• Saturday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a high near 18.
• Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a low around 7.
• Sunday: Partly sunny with a high near 22.