Refuges to offer late-season upland hunting
Several North Dakota national wildlife refuges again this year will be open for late-season upland game bird hunting the day after the deer gun season closes.
Arrowwood, Audubon, Des Lacs, J. Clark Salyer, Lake Alice, Lake Zahl, Long Lake, Lostwood, Tewaukon (pheasants only) and Upper Souris national wildlife refuges open Nov. 25.
Portions of each refuge will be closed to hunting. Hunters should contact refuge headquarters for map leaflets designating closed areas and other restrictions. Refuge telephone numbers are as follows:
• Arrowwood: (701) 285-3341.
• Audubon: (701) 442-5474.
• Des Lacs: (701) 385-4046.
• J. Clark Salyer: (701) 768-2548.
• Lake Alice: (701) 662-8611.
• Lake Zahl: (701) 965-6488.
• Long Lake: (701) 387-4397.
• Lostwood: (701) 848-2722.
• Tewaukon: (701) 724-3598.
• Upper Souris: (701) 468-5467.
National wildlife refuges are managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and nontoxic shot is required on all Service-administered lands. State regulations found in the North Dakota 2013-14 Small Game Guide apply. Seasons for pheasant, sharp-tailed grouse, Hungarian partridge and ruffed grouse close statewide Jan. 5.