PREP CLIPBOARD: Softball, boys golf
Green Wave win Crookston tourney
East Grand Forks Senior High won the round-robin Crookston Pirate Invitational on Saturday in Senior High. The Green Wave defeated Crookston 10-7, Fertile-Beltrami 18-1 and Barnesville 13-6.
“We’re hitting the ball well,” said Senior High coach Heidi Spicer. “We’ve been able to adjust to different pitching speeds quickly, which is a good thing. Our baserunning needs work, but we’re getting there.”
In the wins, Karly Nelson went a combined 8-for-13, scored nine runs and drove in 10, hitting a home run, to lead the Green Wave.
Senior High improved to 9-2.
Eagles place fourth
GREENBUSH, Minn. — East Grand Forks Sacred Heart finished fourth Saturday at the Greenbush tournament.
The Eagles edged Lake of the Woods 1-0 on a Stacy Remer home run in the quarterfinals before losing 15-1 to Red Lake Falls in the semifinals and 4-2 to Norman County East/Ulen-Hitterdal in the third-place game.
“Offensively, we weren’t able to generate a lot,” said Eagles coach Mike Marek. “We couldn’t string any hits together.”
Riders lead local entrants
FARGO — Grand Forks Red River placed seventh, East Grand Forks Senior High 12th and Grand Forks Central 13th at the Fargo North Invitational. The two-day meet concluded Saturday.
Roseau won the team title, placing three players in the top 10 — Joe Vatnsdal (143, tie for first), Will Czeh (151, seventh) and Ethan Johnson (152, tie for eighth).
The lone Grand Forks athlete to finish in the top 10 was Red River’s Adam Van Raden, who finished in a tie for eighth with a 152.
- Girls soccer: Grand Forks Central was downed by Bismarck Century 5-0 on Saturday. Knight goalie Karleigh Gause finished with six saves.
- Girls soccer: Grand Forks Red River was defeated 1-0 on Saturday by Fargo North, whose lone goal came from Kalli Baarstad at 28:29 of the first half.
- Red River goalie Mari Rustebakke finished with 13 saves.
- Girls tennis: Maddie Comeau and Katie Sween were Grand Forks Central’s top placers at the West Fargo Invitational Tournament on Saturday. The seniors teamed to finish sixth at number-one doubles.
- Prep baseball: Grand Forks Red River defeated visiting Eastern Dakota Conference opponent Devils Lake 10-1 on Saturday behind Eric Leach, who had two hits, scored twice and drove in three runs. Jayce Turner also had a pair of hits. Winning pitcher Christian Bauduin allowed two hits in four innings.
- Girls softball: Meghan Ramage struck out 12 batters Saturday as Grand Forks Red River scored an 8-2 road win at Devils Lake. Madi Makovsky and Morgan Coleman each had three hits and Sami Johnson two for the Roughriders. Devils Lake was led by Krista Waldo and Alyssa Hornstein, who had three and two hits, respectively.