OUTDOORS CALENDAR: North Dakota Sportfishing Congress annual 'Smoke and Raffle'
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Monday: Listening session on deer management and populations hosted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and Minnesota Deer Hunters Association, 7 to 9 p.m., Bemidji High School Auditorium, 2900 Division St. W.
- April 5: North Dakota Sportfishing Congress annual “Smoke and Raffle,” 6 p.m., Amvets Club, Bismarck. Tickets: $25; must be purchased in advance. Info: ndsportfishingcongress.org.
N.D. Game and Fish advisory board
- April 1: District 4 (Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina and Walsh counties), 7 p.m., American Legion Hall, Walhalla, N.D. Info: Steve Gapp, (701) 265-2448.
- April 7: District 5 (Cass, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Steele and Traill counties, 7 p.m., auditorium, Finley, N.D. Info: Duane Hanson, advisory board member, West Fargo, (701) 367-4249.
- April 8: District 3 (Benson, Cavalier, Eddy, Ramsey, Rolette and Towner counties), 7 p.m., Lake Region College, Devils Lake. Info: Tom Rost, advisory board member, Devils Lake, (701) 662-8620.
- April 9: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- April 19: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- April 19: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 11 (note date change from May 18): North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- May 11 (note date change from May 18): Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 14: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- April 25: Red River Archers member appreciation night and election of officers, 6:30 p.m., Red River Archers Indoor Range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks. All members welcome. Please bring food items, which Red River Archers will donate to a local food bank.
- May 31: Sixth annual Minnesota Fishing Challenge, Gull Lake near Brainerd, Minn. Info: mntc.org/fishingchallenge or (218) 833-8777.
- Saturday: Red River Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 24th annual big game banquet, Alerus Center ballroom, Grand Forks. Doors open at 5 p.m., with dinner at 7. Info: Tony Kelley, (701) 775-3770.
- April 4: Grand Gobblers Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation banquet, Ramada Inn., Grand Forks. Social hour begins at 5:30 p.m. Dinner/membership tickets: $50, single; $65, couple, $20, Jakes. Info: Mark Kurz, (701) 587-6196 (home) or (701) 741-2807 (cell).
- April 12: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 140-gun raffle, East Grand Forks American Legion. Walk-around raffles, guns, prints and hunting trips. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- Wednesday through March 30: Northwest Sportshow, Minneapolis Convention Center. Info: northwestsportshow.com.
- April 9, 16 and 23: “Basic Birding,” 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Registration required for three-session evening program, and Saturday field trips planned. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- May 17: Interpretive program, “Tracks, Tracks, Tracks,” 10 a.m. to noon, Red River State Recreation Area, East Grand Forks. Join park staff to learn about mammals and their tracks. Info: Catherine Johnson, (218) 773-4950 or Catherine.email@example.com.
- May 25 through July 13: Bog-watcher Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Naturalist will be roving the boardwalk to help visitors locate flowers of the bog. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 1 through Aug. 30: Kids Fishing Fridays, 8 to 11:30 a.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Weekly guided fishing trip offered every other Friday; limited to nine anglers. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- June 5: “Wolves of Red Lake,” 7 to 8:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Jay Huseby, wildlife director of the Red Lake tribal DNR, will discuss the status of wolves on tribal lands, including recent research projects. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 7: Farm tour, 3 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Tour of a beef and wild rice farm and a discussion of the various conservation practices the landowner has implemented. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.
- June 21: Antique and vintage snowmobile tour, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Visit to the home of a nearby snowmobile enthusiast who will display his collection of nearly 40 antique and vintage snowmobiles. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 21: Becoming an Outdoors Woman Fly-Fishing Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. No fee, but state park vehicle permit required. Register at dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/bow/beyondbowregistration. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 28: “Bog Flowers on the Boardwalk,” 10 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park North Unit near Waskish, Minn. Two-mile guided tour of boardwalk to view rare bog plants and flowers. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 28: Archery in the Park, 1 to 4 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 754-2200.
- June 29: Archery in the Park, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504.
Dates to remember
- Wednesday: Deadline to apply for North Dakota bighorn sheep, elk and moose tags. Info: gf.nd.gov.
- April 1: New North Dakota fishing license required. Info: gf.nd.gov.
- April 1 through May 5: Sharp-tailed grouse viewing blind available, Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info/reservations: (218) 754-2200.
- April 12: North Dakota spring turkey opener. Info: gf.nd.gov.
- May 1: North Dakota paddlefish snagging season opens; gf.nd.gov.
- May 10: Minnesota walleye opener.
- June 4: Deadline to apply for North Dakota deer gun and muzzleloader licenses; gf.nd.gov.
- June 7: Minnesota muskie opener.
- June 7-8: North Dakota free fishing days; gf.nd.gov.
- June 14: Free admission to all Minnesota state parks.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to www.GrandForksHerald.com and click the Outdoors link.