OUTDOORS CALENDAR: North Dakota Hunter Education class
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148; or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Tuesday, Thursday, April 15, 17, 22, 23 and 24: North Dakota Hunter Education class, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Forks Rifle Club W.G. Coulter Range, 8½ miles west of Merrifield, N.D., on Grand Forks County Road 6. Pre-registration is required by going to gf.nd.gov and clicking the education link at the top of the home page. The class is listed as Emerado rather than Grand Forks, and registration to date has been light.
N.d. game and fish advisory board
- Monday: District 5 (Cass, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Steele and Traill counties, 7 p.m., auditorium, Finley, N.D. Info: Duane Hanson, advisory board member, West Fargo, (701) 367-4249.
- Tuesday: District 3 (Benson, Cavalier, Eddy, Ramsey, Rolette and Towner counties), 7 p.m., Lake Region College, Devils Lake. Info: Tom Rost, advisory board member, Devils Lake, (701) 662-8620.
- Wednesday: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- April 19: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- April 19: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 11: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- May 11: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 14: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- April 25: Red River Archers member appreciation night and election of officers, 6:30 p.m., Red River Archers Indoor Range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks. All members welcome. Please bring food items, which Red River Archers will donate to a local food bank.
- May 31: Sixth annual Minnesota Fishing Challenge, Gull Lake near Brainerd, Minn. Info: mntc.org/fishingchallenge or (218) 833-8777.
- Tuesday: Trout Unlimited spring membership meeting, Cattails Bar and Grill, Bemidji. Social hour 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6 off the menu and business meeting at 7. Carl Haensel, a North Shore fishing guide and retired Pennsylvania fisheries manager, will be guest speaker. Info: Bob, (218) 586-2798 or Steve, (218) 243-2574.
- Saturday: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 140-gun raffle, East Grand Forks American Legion. Walk-around raffles, guns, prints and hunting trips. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- Wednesday, April 16 and 23: “Basic Birding,” 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Registration required for three-session evening program, and Saturday field trips planned. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- May 17: Interpretive program, “Tracks, Tracks, Tracks,” 10 a.m. to noon, Red River State Recreation Area, East Grand Forks. Join park staff to learn about mammals and their tracks. Info: Catherine Johnson, (218) 773-4950 or Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 25-July 13: Bog-watcher Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Naturalist will be roving the boardwalk to help visitors locate flowers of the bog. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 1-Aug. 30: Kids Fishing Fridays, 8 to 11:30 a.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Weekly guided fishing trip offered every other Friday; limited to 9 anglers. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- June 5: “Wolves of Red Lake,” 7 to 8:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Jay Huseby, wildlife director of the Red Lake tribal DNR, will discuss the status of wolves on tribal lands, including recent research projects. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 7: Farm tour, 3 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Tour of a beef and wild rice farm and a discussion f the various conservation practices the landowner has implemented. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.
- June 21: Antique and vintage snowmobile tour, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Visit to the home of a nearby snowmobile enthusiast who will display his collection of nearly 40 antique and vintage snowmobiles. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 21: Becoming an Outdoors Woman Fly-Fishing Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. No fee but state park vehicle permit required. Register at dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/bow/beyondbowregistration. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 28: “Bog Flowers on the Boardwalk,” 10 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park North Unit near Waskish, Minn. Two-miled guided tour of boardwalk to view rare bog plants and flowers. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 28: Archery in the Park, 1 to 4 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 754-2200.
- June 29: Archery in the Park, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504.
Dates to remember
- Now-May 5: Sharp-tailed grouse viewing blind available, Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info/reservations: (218) 754-2200.
- Saturday: North Dakota spring turkey opener. Info: gf.nd.gov.
- May 1: North Dakota paddlefish snagging season opens; gf.nd.gov.
- May 10: Minnesota walleye opener.
- June 4: Deadline to apply for North Dakota deer gun and muzzleloader licenses; gf.nd.gov.
- June 7: Minnesota muskie opener.
- June 7-8: North Dakota free fishing days; gf.nd.gov.
- June 14: Free admission to all Minnesota state parks.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to www.GrandForksHerald.com and click the Outdoors link.