OUTDOORS CALENDAR: N.D. game and fish meetings, shooting, events
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
N.D. Game and Fish meetings
- Monday: Devils Lake, 7 p.m., Lake Region Community College Auditorium.
- Monday: Casselton, N.D., 7 p.m., City Fire Hall.
- Tuesday: Dickinson, N.D., 7 p.m., Ramada Grand Dakota Lodge.
- Tuesday: Anamoose, N.D., 7 p.m., VFW Club.
- Feb. 24: Tioga, N.D., 7 p.m., Farm Festival Building.
- Feb. 24: Fordville, N.D., 7 p.m., Community Center. (There’ll be a chili feed from 6 to 7 p.m. before the meeting.)
- Feb. 25: Bismarck, 7 p.m., North Dakota Game and Fish Department.
- Feb. 25: Jamestown, 7 p.m., The Bunker
- Feb. 23: Two-for-one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 8:30 a.m. Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Feb. 23: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 3 p.m., Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- March 9: Two-for-one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 8:30 a.m., Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- March 9: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 3 p.m., Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- March 12: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- March 15: Friends of the NRA banquet, Ramada Inn, Grand Forks. Social hour at 5:30 p.m., with banquet at 7. Tickets, $40 (“grand slam” sold out). Info: Morgan Stroh, (701) 330-2099.
- Tuesday: Program, “How to Spot and Photograph Owls,” 6 p.m., East Grand Forks Campbell Library. Birding expert Heidi Hughes of the Agassiz Audubon Society will share information on local owls and how to identify them and provide tips on making your yard “owl friendly” and how to take good owl photos with a point-and-shoot camera. Info: Heidi Hughes, (218) 745-5663 or Andrea Scherer, (218) 773-9121.
- Thursday: Grand Forks Audubon, 7 p.m., Grand Forks Park Board building, next to Purpur Arena and curling club. Marshall Johnson of Dakota Audubon will be guest speaker, and the meeting is open to all.
- Saturday: Candlelight ski tour/snowshoe walk, 6 to 9 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not snowshoers or hikers. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- Saturday: Antique and vintage snowmobile show, 11 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park near Waskish, Minn. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- Saturday: Minnesota Deer Hunters Association state banquet, Timberlake Lodge, Grand Rapids, Minn. Social hour 4:30 p.m., with dinner and program beginning at 6. Only 350 tickets available. Info: (800) 450-DEER or email@example.com.
- March 1: Bemidji snowmobile ride, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. State trail sticker required for all snowmobiles operating on state or Grant-in-Aid trails. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- March 1: Superior Hiking Trail guided snowshoe hike, 10 a.m., Finland (Minn.) Recreation Center to Leskinen campsite and back. Hike covers 4.8 miles and includes ridgeline vistas, mixed forest and the Baptism River. Info: shta.org and click the “Events” tab and scroll down to the “Guided Hikes” link or call (218) 834-2700.
- March 6-9: 49th annual Red River Valley Boat, Camping and Vacation Show, Fargodome. Info: fargosportshow.com.
- March 7-9: Minnesota Deer Classic, Schwan Center, Blaine, Minn. Certified measurers, demonstrations, seminars, kids’ activities and more. Admission: $10 adults, $7 age 12 to 17, free 11 and younger.
- March 22: Ski/snowshoe hike, “The Bog in Winter,” 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. Round-trip distance about two miles and snowshoes will be available to check out. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not snowshoers or hikers. Meet at the park office. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- April 12: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 140-gun raffle, East Grand Forks American Legion. Walk-around raffles, guns, prints and hunting trips. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.